Quantcast

Marion Aircraft Company???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

That's Marion, OH, by the way.

I was in the local historical museum the other day doing some research, and noticed they had an "aviation" display, so I took a quick look at it.

I never knew this, but back in the 1920s or 1930s there was a Marion Aircraft Company located at 280 North Main Street. They made a single wing cantilever monoplane with an enclosed cabin for passengers. The article didn't say how many passengers it could carry, but implied that it was quite something for its time. Anyone ever hear of it?

Also, in 1929 a Carl Ferguson and Roy Pfieffer built the first homebuilt airplane in the county. It was a single seat strut-braced high wing monoplane with (IIRC) 28 HP engine.

It is interesting what you can find in some of these smaller history museums, don't you think?

FritzW

Log Member
EDIT: Oops, Sorry. ...disreguard (while I go learn how to read)

Last edited:

crusty old aviator

This is from Aerofiles:
Marion
George Whysall & Assoc aka Marion Aircraft Co, 280 N Main, Marion OH.

1929 = 3pChwM; 100hp Kinner; span: 36'0" length: 25'0" load: 678# v: 115/100/47. Full cantilever wing with box spar, aluminum ribs, fabric-covered mahogany skin. [X527K] s/n 2. Reg cancelled 3/28/30, fate unknown.

Whysall 1929 = 3pChwM; 100hp Kinner K-5. [X500E] c/n 1

Aerowerx

Fritzw and Wantajja, I said Ferguson and Pfieffer built the first homebuilt in the COUNTY, not COUNTRY.