March and April 2011 - Tell us what you've done this month!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Richard6

Got about 4 hrs of flight instruction in the Jabiru 170. As my instructor keeps telling me, it almost fly’s itself.

Richard

mcmurphy

Progress is being made on my Thatcher CX4. I have been building like crazy in the last couple of months. Unfortunately most of my building has involved redoing things I've screwed up. I'm accumulating a large amount of scrap aluminum in the process, too.

I finished the right wing of my project in February and started on the left wing. I gained a lot of experience building the right wing so I the left wing was going together faster. And it was looking better than the first wing I had done. So much better that I decided that I was going to re-skin the right wing. Can't have one good-looking wing and one crappy wing.

As I was finishing up my left wing I noticed it wasn't laying flat on my work table. It had warped during the building process. I had to remove and replace the leading edge (which I had already replaced once, but for a different reason). I used the old leading edge to mark the rivet holes, so the process was relatively painless.

When I was done with the left wing I put the right wing on the work table, tore it apart, and rebuilt it. The wings are not completely finished yet. There is a 30 inch tapered section on the end of the wings that I need to install, but I don't have the room in my garage to install them. The next step is to connect the wings together with the center section spar and build the center section of the fuselage.

It has been raining cats and dogs here in Ohio this spring giving me plenty of time to work on my project. Now that the weather has finally decided to straighten out I have to work on my honey-do list, since my wife seems to think that is more important than building my airplane.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Well, we (my wife Geneva and I) picked up another project to add to our stable... a Stits Flut-R-Bug in need of repair (needs wings rebuilt). It was built by Art Scholl in 1958 and the logbooks show it being signed off by L. Pazmany.

We've also been busy paying off the flight lessons for the two kids we sponsored with flight scholarships (one has attained her pilot's licesnse, the other is about midway there). This is something we did on our own out of our meager pockets with the help of discounts from a local flight school.

We also keep busy as the Young Eagles coordinators for our area.

To top it all off, we also just held a local "Learn to Fly" event for the public to come out to the local GA airport, get rides, food, and meet the local pilots, flight schools, aviation clubs and professional aviation organizations (i.e. - Sheriff's helicopter unit). We also set up a Young Eagle rally at the event and invited the local EAA chapter to host it under their banner. This is an event that has been in development since before EAA came up with their "International Learn to Fly Day".

Though it was once again funded by my wife and I (emphasis on "meager finances"), the event turned out to be very successful, with a nice family environment and lots of rides given to both kids and adults, including lots of glider rides by the Central California Flying Club (CCSC or www.soaravenal.com) who operated off the old runway/taxiway in Morgan Hall's Duo Discus sailplane.

Oh... and we are kitchenless at home while we get new cabinets installed, but carefree while we live among the lacquer fumes. :knock: :ban:

Bruce :)

Jman

Site Developer
I'll be calling this April and May thread a wrap and closing it in the next few days. Anybody else make progress towards their Aviation Goals these last couple of months? Just a few sentences would be good. A photo would be even better!

PTAirco

No workshop progress at all - all my time and money is getting used up driving old Cherokees around the sky blindfolded. The instrument rating has to be most expensive way ever invented to have no fun at all . Still, it's a prerequisite for the CFI. Lots of cramming for the tests too. AGI tomorrow to avoid ever having to the FOI again.

rtfm

I've been trying to find the time to work on the Razorback. I've tried getting up at 5am, working on it for 3 hrs and then going to work. But that doesn't really work too well. I've tried knocking off a little early, getting to the workshop at about 5 and working into the evening. But we have ballroom dancing lessons and practise every night (except Fridays) at 7pm, so the time is limited at that end of the day too.

So the only *real* time I have is Saturday, and Sunday afternoons. Sunday mornings is when I need to earn my brownie points for the week with wifey-poo, so it is lazy walks through the cafe's looking for a nice little place to have breakfast, or the Sat morning markets and a lunch somewhere. You know the drill... Then Sunday afternoons are mine also.

But because I don't really have a proper set of plans, I have to work out everything while I'm doing it, and that takes time. So very little actual build progress so far...

Duncan

PuertoRicoFlyer

I replaced my old WHELEN Nav/Pos/Strobe lights with AVEO LED Nav/Pos/Strobe lights.

Installed Light - Outside View.jpg Green Light On.jpg

Red Light On.jpg Red with Strobe On.jpg

Instal Completed.jpg

Smaller, less current draw, should last longer than I will, no power supply and they look real good too. :cool: