Mandatory tool box

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

N804RV

Supporting Member
I was referring to the home brew solution.
52391065158_54e6d58cca.jpg
52390822066_624a72ae02.jpg
52391132414_2d5516b05f.jpg

karmarepair

Supporting Member
12" drill bits (3/32, 1/8, and 5/32) and a 3" length of 1x2 pine through-drilled close to the end: will be hugely useful getting to those impossible spots.
These extension bits are the only ones of these diameters that are worth sharpening. A drill doctor, or a set of diamond hones and jewelers loupe (sharpie or dykem the faces as an indicator, and go slow).

Also, be very careful about how much you bend those long drills. And be very careful when you break through - if that long bit grabs the material in that instant it will snap , particularly the 3/32/#40.

Pops

Supporting Member
Also the 3/16", 1/4" , 5/16" and 3/8" in the 12" lengths. Local Lowes box store carried the 12" lengths until about 2 years ago.

TFF

Tools to make tooling. That’s what I would think about. An RV doesn’t take a bunch of real special tools. Building a Hawker Hind biplane is going to need all sorts of stuff. Restoration requires more access accommodations than new builds. More special tools. You might look at PDR tools and some videos.

I’m such a “what can I get for the budget” person. I have a $100, , $1000, $10,000 always rolling around in my head. I put myself together some travel tool boxes to work on aircraft. I didn’t want to put my good tools in there, just because I would never replace them if they got stolen. I also didn’t want a bunch of super cheap stuff either. Snap on are great, and I can tell when I’m using them, but when a new wrench set is $1000, I don’t have the stomach for loss. I’m not flush with the good stuff either. I started looking at Best of the budget tools. Became a mix bag of brands on value. It all comes down to budget because it’s tiered. $120 wrench sets have a place just like the $1000. So do the $20 sets.

There is a company in Mena Arkansas that does major sheet metal repairs. When they travel they show up with three hip height toolboxes of just bucking bars. Takes a forklift to get them on and off the trailer. Generally they just use five bars, but just in case… Even if you don’t have a project in mind, dream one up. What tools would it take to build a Edelweiss RD-03? Then fill the box with those. Got room, pick another design. At some point you will start using them.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
My small Craftsman cordless dril with the triangular lithium battery has become my go-to for a drill. Several years ago I bought a used, cheap, Chinese "bench shear" and I use it far more often than I had imagined. No, it's not a 75 year old genuine Beverly Shear from Lockheed Surplus Sales, but it does a good job. I have one medium coarse Nicholson flat hand file that has become my go-to for sheet metal edge shaping, deburring, edge softening, etc.

The biggest surprise of all is the little dark grey plastic Harbor Freight 1/4" 72 tooth "composite" ratchet handle that costs $7 or $10. It is far far more comfortable in my hands than the metal Craftsman or Chinese Snap-On clones. I truly love this cheap little ratchet, and it has plenty of power for 90%+ of anything I'm frequently doing on a Cessna 172 (3/16 and 1/4 inch bolts and nuts). I've bought four of these, and none of them have snapped, skipped, broken, or jammed. So I have magnets on the side of my toolbox that have these ratchets ready at arm's length... one with a 3/8 socket in it already, and others with 7/16 and 1/2 sockets, and one with a short 3 inch extension on it. (I also have magnets with the corresponding 3/8 and 7/16 combination wrenches on the toolbox).

rsrguy3

I'm constantly on the hunt for a Beverly shear. I'm also looking for a cast-off steel bench on casters, I'd like to mount my drill press bench grinder and vintage craftsman vise to it along with the still fictional BS.

TFF

I only have two complaints about the Harbor Freight composite socket wrench, and they aren’t really important. One it’s composite coated; still a steel wrench under the plastic. I want it all plastic, if that is what they infer. I want it bigger, still. Except for the head, make the thing 3/8 wrench size.

BJC

Supporting Member
I'm constantly on the hunt for a Beverly shear. I'm also looking for a cast-off steel bench on casters, I'd like to mount my drill press bench grinder and vintage craftsman vise to it along with the still fictional BS.
I’ve been looking for a good deal on a Beverly for over 55 years. Haven’t found one. If I were going to build a tube fuselage, I probably would buy an Eastwood. https://www.eastwood.com/throatless...MIs-at2IC6-gIVr8mUCR0qcA5fEAQYByABEgK5XfD_BwE

Anyone have experience with the Eastwood?

BJC

Pops

Supporting Member
My small Craftsman cordless dril with the triangular lithium battery has become my go-to for a drill. Several years ago I bought a used, cheap, Chinese "bench shear" and I use it far more often than I had imagined. No, it's not a 75 year old genuine Beverly Shear from Lockheed Surplus Sales, but it does a good job. I have one medium coarse Nicholson flat hand file that has become my go-to for sheet metal edge shaping, deburring, edge softening, etc.

The biggest surprise of all is the little dark grey plastic Harbor Freight 1/4" 72 tooth "composite" ratchet handle that costs $7 or $10. It is far far more comfortable in my hands than the metal Craftsman or Chinese Snap-On clones. I truly love this cheap little ratchet, and it has plenty of power for 90%+ of anything I'm frequently doing on a Cessna 172 (3/16 and 1/4 inch bolts and nuts). I've bought four of these, and none of them have snapped, skipped, broken, or jammed. So I have magnets on the side of my toolbox that have these ratchets ready at arm's length... one with a 3/8 socket in it already, and others with 7/16 and 1/2 sockets, and one with a short 3 inch extension on it. (I also have magnets with the corresponding 3/8 and 7/16 combination wrenches on the toolbox).
Thanks, I have had about 4 of the 1/4" drive Craftsman ratches, and all were junk. Have returned them and the store would give me another that was just as bad and the one returned. I have an cheap old one that I usually use and wanting to buy another.

Pops

Supporting Member
I’ve been looking for a good deal on a Beverly for over 55 years. Haven’t found one. If I were going to build a tube fuselage, I probably would buy an Eastwood. Eastwood Metal Cutting Throatless Shear

Anyone have experience with the Eastwood?

BJC
About one year ago Dallas and I sold a very large Beverly Shear on a huge heavy stand that weighted about 200 lbs + a good heavy 4' box brake, 4' heavy roll and a 8' brake.
About 15 years ago, we bought a tools from an airline repair shop that was moving.
Still have a large heavy foot operated pedestal mount aluminum shrinker and stretcher for sale at a cheap price. Weight - 150-200 lbs ?