Malicious Site Blocked???

Discussion in 'HBA Announcements & Support' started by Aerowerx, Jan 10, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2020 #1

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

This started happening in just the last few days.

I would click on one of the links in the eBay Today thread, look at the add, an then hit the "X" to close that window. Then I get a red warning from Norton, saying "Malicious Site Blocked, etc, etc." Hit the back arrow, and it goes back to HBA with no problems.

So out of curiosity, this morning I logged into my Norton account and clicked on "Continue to Site" in isolation mode. The site I was sent to is a SpamBot saying I have won some prize because I have done my 5 billionth web search.

Now, is this something on my laptop, or eBay, or HBA, or what? Interesting that this started happening at about the same time as the "subscribe" problem.

Anyone else seeing this? By the way, I am running Chrome on Windows 7 (yes, I haven't upgraded yes).

2. Jan 10, 2020 #2

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Problem averted.

I still don't know where the problem cam from, but it was in Google Chrome somehow, not HBA. I found the same problem using two other websites.

Apparently when I close one Chrome window I was being redirected to the malicious site, not to the original open Chrome window.

With a bit of research I found an extension to Chrome that blocks redirects.

Why can't that be a feature built into Google Chrome????? Why do I need an extension???

admin likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2020 at 2:17 AM #3

xwing

xwing

xwing

Norton doesn't pick up everything, redirects aren't usually an issue unless or becoming infected. It's most likely something got on your rig by clicking on something.

4. Jan 11, 2020 at 4:09 AM #4

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
    I have a domain that somehow ended up on one of these blacklists for absolutely no reason I can discern (other than it has a linux word in it - you know, those crazy linux people are all hackers) and is blocked inside a default install of Firefox and Chrome.

It's rather infuriating, because no matter how much I report it's not a malicious site on a web form, nobody ever removes it from the list, and to escalate it further is a rather convoluted process involving installing scripts on the webserver, etc.

So just keep in mind these blacklists aren't all that. A lot of them are peppered with outdated information, wrong, or just speculative guessing (my case I assume).

It's kind of a worst case scenario in censorship, where there is nobody you can actually complain too that you are being automatically censored via some broad net casting computer algorhythm.

5. Jan 11, 2020 at 9:19 PM #5

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

In this case, Norton did see it, and blocked it. The problem was in Chrome.

My complaint is with Google Chrome. 1) how did such a thing happen in the first place and, 2) why do I need an extension when such a feature should be a standard option.

To Chopper Girl: I don't understand how the virus/worm/whatever got through my firewall and attached itself to Chrome.