Malaysian airlines missing plane

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by oriol, Mar 12, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 4, 2016 #481

Himat

Himat

Himat

The trouble is that we will probably never know what happened to this flight. As time go there is less chance to retrieve data from the flight recorders if they are found. More pieces of the plane will probably be washed up on some shore, but to find larger pieces would be sheer luck.

2. Nov 4, 2016 #482

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

Oh we'll find out. Them boxes is waiting with chips and the info for 1000 years.

3. Nov 5, 2016 #483

davidb

davidb

davidb

Sure, you could modify an aircraft for skydiving or remote control. How likely is it to do this to an airliner in commercial service without any trace of the work involved? It would involve much more work than "tampering."

Topaz likes this.
  4. Nov 5, 2016 #484

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Heck, it's nearly impossible to find a drive that can read a 5 1/4" floppy disk anymore, and if one could be found, the code couldn't run on a modern machine. If the flight data recorders aren't found soon, advancing technology will make them as useful as a TDK audiocassette with a program written in CPM to run on a Commodore 128.

StarJar likes this.
  5. Nov 5, 2016 #485

davidb

davidb

davidb

By design, the pilots can always override any automated control or navigation function. I don't know what hackers could do given enough time and resources but part of the plan would have to eliminate the pilots. Even with today's increased security, it must still be much more feasible to high jack an airplane with traditional methods rather than some dreamed up tech method. I'm 100% sure of my opinion--a high jacking by a non-crew member is impossible if all protocols are followed.

6. Nov 5, 2016 #486

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well, just to say it, a hijacking by anyone has always been impossible if all protocols are followed. But in the real world we can't get bad guys to follow them, and good guys sometimes don't either.

7. Nov 5, 2016 #487

davidb

davidb

davidb

The oxygen fire theory is not as improbable as you think. The course can be accounted for by pilot actions accomplished before incapacitation. The fire would have been localized and the damage selective.

Himat likes this.
  8. Nov 5, 2016 #488

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

But how long did the plane fly after the initial trigger event? There are suicide by airline cases where the pilot decided to disable the crew and fly the plane longer than the cockpit voice recorder loop length so that it would erase all evidence of their misdeeds by recording over it. Of course, that method would it be used by a terrorist because a terrorist wants his deeds to be known.

9. Nov 5, 2016 #489

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

FDR , not CVR. You are correct regarding CVR, it's usually ~30 min loop.

10. Nov 5, 2016 #490

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

Yes, now which bay is it than contains ALL the things to do with communication and detection, but contains NOTHING to to do with flight systems, instrumentation, navigation, and control surface movement.
    I think it's like trying to find a part of your body that has veins, but no nerves. All that stuff is comingled like a rat's nest. I think this from working on avionics systems of general av. planes and some fighters. I don't think airliners could be much different.

11. Oct 3, 2017 #491

BJC

BJC

BJC

12. Jan 24, 2018 #492
  13. Jan 24, 2018 #493
  14. Jan 24, 2018 #494

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

a 5 1/4 would be a breeze for a government department and many museums. I recently came across a stack of 8" drives, remember those? I believe that flight recorders have been solid state for a while. Fire will kill those, but they are pretty tough otherwise. All the specs to read them in 100's of years time is out there on the web. You can bet it will be stored for when they are found, too. Stir in an EE and you have the data.