Making your hangar more comfortable?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

The down side to the floor heat, you can't just turn the thermostat up or down for a warmer day and up for a colder day. That's about 3 days to change the temp very much.
Yep it can really be warm in a shop with radiant heat after a cold spell passes. Especially if you are really bright and build a large heat collection mass. I've seen such things take like 10 days to cool down.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
At KWHP I have a hangar with electrical but no water. I added an elevated blue plastic 55 gallon water barrel that feeds an on demand water pump with surge tank that is then plumbed to a mini water heater and to a sink I can use to wash up. Draingoes to a 5 gallon bucket I dump every week. The pump is designed for a motorhome but is 110v. Everything is plumbed in bkuecand red PEX. I also added some hose bibs at each end of the hangar as well. Im paranoid about fire so i have a single switch that turns off the water system when I leave. Also have a small fridge. My hangar is dusty as all getout so i built a hermetic enclosure for my CAD workstation. Its made from 8020 type aluminum with plexi panels and 2 temp controlled fans drawing and exiting air through a K&N filter. My computer has been in there 2 years and not one spec of dust inside. Added LED shop lights as well. On amazon you can get 12 light bundle for very cheap

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Here are some pics of the case. I considered making these and selling them to others with computers in dirty environments but it cost me far more to build than expected. However not having any dust in an expensive CAD workstation in a dusty hangar was worth the effort. All panels cut on a 100W CO2 laser and all filter boxes and other bits 3D printed in PETG. The cover is held on with magnets. One pic shows the air inlet and you can see the K&N filter is filthy... Thats a years worth of dust. I think I will blow it out next time I am at the hangar.

Attachments

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
And we are looking at bringing another plane home and getting another hanger.
They are offering us a choice between two adjoining side by side hangers or two hangers in line that goes from one side of the building to the other
The buildings run east and west south so the through hangar would have both a southern and northern exposure
I’m not sure where they would place the side by side hangers ,our current hanger has a southern exposure between buildings. The threw hanger is in the southernmost building on the field .

Any thoughts on what you would do?

addicted2climbing

Log Member
And we are looking at bringing another plane home and getting another hanger.
They are offering us a choice between two adjoining side by side hangers or two hangers in line that goes from one side of the building to the other
The buildings run east and west south so the through hangar would have both a southern and northern exposure
I’m not sure where they would place the side by side hangers ,our current hanger has a southern exposure between buildings. The threw hanger is in the southernmost building on the field .

Any thoughts on what you would do?
Take all the hangars... in Los Angeles you don't get a choice you get what is available after 5 years wait if your lucky...

Pops

Log Member
My doghouse room in the hanger. This winter I want to cover the steel beams with wood to look like wooden beams and make some shelves and install a wood laminate floor. Also a good place to take a nap.
BTW-- The smaller stained glass P-51 picture was done by my daughter. Also have several large ones she has done.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daleandee

Second question does your favorite char face your plane or the TV?
That's easy ... no TV allowed in the hangar!

We stare at planes, talk about planes, look at plans, or tell tall tales about flying airplanes when we ain't working on planes or taking them out so we can fly them. It's all about the planes, unless the wife stops by ... :wonder: