Making your hangar more comfortable?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Lynk Aviation

What kind of things have you modified in your hangar to make it more comfortable for you, or to make your life easier?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
When I was at the muni airport, I added a large square of carpet with a couch and some chairs where friends could visit. I also had a desk and office chair for paperwork and research. You will also need a good vacuum cleaner to keep your ‘living and office areas clean… hangars can be dusty places.

A fridge can be nice too, but many city owned hangars will not allow them. You can ask them, but most don’t want you using their electricity. Fresno where I live went as far as removing all of the electrical outlets and replaced the single light fixture with a single LED bulb that was too weak to light up anything in the hangar. I had to limit my use to daytime with the doors full open to see anything.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beer fridge
Workbench
Tall gym locker (jacket and coveralls hanging in one section, parts and tools in the others)
Air compressor
Chairs

There's only one outlet in my (shared) hangar; I made up an extension cord with a quad outlet on the end with magnets. It's plugged into the inconveniently located one outlet and the magnets stick it to the metal hangar wall above the workbench where it's useful.

Last edited:

Dantilla

I added bright lighting and additional electrical outlets.
Garage door opener for the back door.
Really nice to pull right into the hangar behind the airplane.
Refrigerator and carpet.
Carpet under the airplane is nice on the knees when sumping the gas tanks.
Workbench and shelves are mandatory.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Beer fridge
Wrench
Workbench
Tall gym locker (jacket and coveralls hanging in one section, parts and tools in the others)
Air compressor
Chairs

There's only one outlet in my (shared) hangar; I made up an extension cord with a quad outlet on the end with magnets. It's plugged into the inconveniently located one outlet and the magnets stick it to the metal hangar wall above the workbench where it's useful.
When I first read that I thought that was "Beer fridge" "Wench" .....

Here in my world I just want heat in the big space. Would be such a luxury.

crusty old aviator

HBA Supporter
If you’re starting with a dirt floor: level it, lay down a layer of landscape cloth, then 2” of crushed rock, level it, then 2” foam board (styrofoam, etc.), with taped joints, then 9 mil plastic sheeting, (taped at the seams) then radiant tube if you’re wanting that (don’t let the plastic tube touch itself or it will eventually crack and leak there, place a spacer between overlaps), then 4” of fiberglass reinforced, 7000 or 9000 psi concrete. The glass fibers replace rebar and wire mesh, they will make a mirror finish almost impossible to achieve, but you could paint it with epoxy paint (5 gal bucket) to seal it. Then you call around to local carpet stores to find the one’s that recarpet rental housing and set up a time to meet their installers at a residence that they’re re-carpeting to pick up the discarded carpet. They normally have to pay the transfer center/dump to take it, so don’t get duped into paying for rolls of used carpet that you’re picking up off the lawn.
Other than that, a Bose Wave is small but puts out great sound, even in a tin T-hangar. Get the one with a CD player and aux input.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Insulation, insulation, and, oh yeah, insulation. Planning on adding HVAC eventually. The toilet was really nice too.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I first read that I thought that was "Beer fridge" "Wench" .....

Here in my world I just want heat in the big space. Would be such a luxury.
**** autocorrect, I meant "workbench".

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I've insulated my hangar, but I haven't yet found a cost-effective way to reduce air movement from the top and bottom of the rolling doors. Sounds like it should be easy, but big rubber strips (door frame to the top C-chamnel and concrete floor below will freeze to the floor puddles in winter and the friction up top makes them hard to roll if there's enough pressure to seal properly. I think I'll go with hinged panels that I can close (swing up and swing down) from the inside once I get in. I don't heat the place when I'm not there.

Radiant heat (esp floors, but also tubes hong from the ceiling) feels great, and can keep you warm even if the space isn't sealed very well. But it can take a loooong time to heat up a cold slab, so it may not be the best answer for folks who don't go to the hangar very frequently.

WonderousMountain

So the Airport Planner just E-Mailed with the option of building my own Hangar,

Of course now this creates more problems than it solves, but I was wondering if
anyone knows what size hot tub can fit in a regulation Spiral Staircase, over the
Cylindrical above ground Alt. Fuel Tank. My thoughts are 5 person would be fine.

Sincerely,
CK LouPai

I've 12-13 Ft square to work with, same size as the lavatory.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well insulated with heated ( NG force air furnace) and cooled with AC, office with sofa bed with separate AC. Wood burning stove with couch, table, chairs. Have hot water heat in the floor but never hooked up the boiler. Furnace and wood stove does such a good job.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
No wonder you get so much done with an area like that. You Lucky dog......🤪Folks up here sure like that floor heat in those bigger shops. I guess it helps keep them tractor tires warm.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
No wonder you get so much done with an area like that. You Lucky dog......🤪Folks up here sure like that floor heat in those bigger shops. I guess it helps keep them tractor tires warm.
The down side to the floor heat, you can't just turn the thermostat up or down for a warmer day and up for a colder day. That's about 3 days to change the temp very much.