• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Making Aluminum Ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGood

Hello,

I'm a new member, in the thinking and planning stages of designing and building a new wing out of aluminum. I'm a little familiar with Van's wings and would mimic their basic structural layout. My questions: Are there vendors out there that can stamp out (hyfroform?) ribs, forming the flange along top, bottom, front and rear, to which the skins and spars would be rivited? Is there a way for the homebuilder to manually build ribs like this? Finally, does the stamping, or other fabrication method require that the material be non heat-treated, with the heat treatment coming after the ribs are formed?

Thanks for your comments.

Back