Quantcast

Making a boom, before Boom Aerospace - Messing around with breaking mach.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Arthur Brown

There is a RR Ghost, and a Venom and a Viper and an Avon on Ebay.co.uk for pocket money at the moment. The fuel bill may not be pocket money!

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The Glory [is a] phenomenon I've been blessed to see in person. ..... A Glory is also a relatively common sight for aviators.
Yep, that’s why I became a pilot... women are strongly attracted to pilots so you get to see more glories. :gig:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
If the goal is just to "break Mach", build yourself a fiberglass copy of the Grand Slam bomb, with roll control and a redundant set of parachutes, and drop it from the highest possible altitude. Get high enough and, yeah, you'll break the sound barrier, just like Grand Slam did. But now we've got talk here of "practical transportation and travel"with the Personal SST. That's several tens of millions of dollars harder and many years more development longer.

So what's the goal here, really? Just break the sound barrier, or your own Personal SST? Because the discussion is pretty moot until the design mission is at least spoken aloud.

nerobro

Log Member
That's not home buildable.

So what's the goal here, really? Just break the sound barrier, or your own Personal SST? Because the discussion is pretty moot until the design mission is at least spoken aloud.
Mission: To have the coolest thing in the sky. Though, how about some real numbers: 2 hour flight duration, sustained level flight above mach 1.1. Room for a pilot and a passenger. I understand, there's a practical knot limit below flight levels, so this will likely need to be pressurized, or at least good o2 systems... And being in flight levels, this means an autopilot, and IFR equipment.

So.. the thing gets a little more complex.

Speedboat100

That's not home buildable.

Mission: To have the coolest thing in the sky. Though, how about some real numbers: 2 hour flight duration, sustained level flight above mach 1.1. Room for a pilot and a passenger. I understand, there's a practical knot limit below flight levels, so this will likely need to be pressurized, or at least good o2 systems... And being in flight levels, this means an autopilot, and IFR equipment.

So.. the thing gets a little more complex.
You just squeeze it a bit.

I designed MINIKITE years before that...and it has two rocket engines inside the shafts that rotate the props.

You fly it to 36 000 ft with props ( 2 x TIO 540 ) and then hit the rockets for brief period ( provide every passenger a peek torwards the earth curvature at 100 000 ft ).

Very home buildable..not every home..but slightly better equipped home.

Attachments

Last edited:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You just squeeze it a bit.

I designed MINIKITE years before that...and it has two rocket engines inside the shafts that rotate the props.

You fly it to 36 000 ft with props ( 2 x TIO 540 ) and then hit the rockets for brief period ( provide every passenger a peek torwards the earth curvature at 100 000 ft ).

Very home buildable..not every home..but slightly better equipped home.
Wow, what a stunning coincidence! We used to have a member named Topspeed100 who posted a very similar design by the same name, Minikite, in his blog. Check out Topspeed's signature--pointing to this blog--then check out his Minikite post.

1000_AA_MINIKITE_65.jpg

Aerowerx

Haven't gone through the entire thread, but has someone pointed out that supersonic flight over the continental USA is prohibited?

The FAA’s existing restrictions can be found at 14 CFR Part 91.817. In essence, that regulation prohibits anyone from operating a civil aircraft at a true flight Mach number greater than 1 over land in the United States and from a certain distance off shore where a boom could reach U.S. shores. There is a procedure that allows supersonic operation under certain conditions granted on an individual basis. In addition, any new aircraft would need to meet current airworthiness and noise certification requirements.

Speedboat100

Does it matter if you brake the sound barrier at 60 000 ft ?

Furthermore the new NASA systems are quiet...creating no sonic boom.

Aerowerx

Does it matter if you brake the sound barrier at 60 000 ft ?

Furthermore the new NASA systems are quiet...creating no sonic boom.
All I can see is read the referenced part of the FARs.

As for NASA, remember it says you can get a special dispensation, and that probably for sparsely populated areas in the south west.

Speedboat100

All I can see is read the referenced part of the FARs.

As for NASA, remember it says you can get a special dispensation, and that probably for sparsely populated areas in the south west.

But it is based on the noise restrictions...if there is no noise...so who cares ?

Aerowerx

But it is based on the noise restrictions...if there is no noise...so who cares ?
I'm not going to go down this "what if" road with you! There is no point in speculating.

And I am NOT going to do your research for you. Just read the FAR and see what it says. It is available in full on-line. Just google it!

TFF

The Space Shuttle sonic boom is heard from 100,000 ft. You would immediately loose your pilots license if you created a boom in the US unauthorized. You might even loose the airplane. Pilots who fly supersonic military planes have rarely gone SS. Like once a year to log it. It’s not common and things can go wrong. The Concord and SR71 set a great record of speed but there is more to it than slippery shape and big engines.

Speedboat100

The STS had two distinct sonic booms; one from the front, and a second one from the motor housings.

BJC
Was Eustace and Baumgartner boom also nerv cracking ?

Shuttle Boom:

Last edited: