Maintaining my 1/2 V-Dub

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by Tony, Nov 19, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1

Tony

Tony

Tony

I was wondering what others are doing to keep there v-dubs running strong. I have only been flying a short time and even shorter time behind a V-Dub. I was reading in, I believe the EAA magazine, one author stated he is always removing heads and lapping vavles on his 1/2 v-dub. He stated that anyone who uses this engine does this. He did not mention how many hours before he does this. I have put a little over 40 hours on my v-dub this summer and she runs great. I myself have not seen a problem.
    I learned many years ago back in collage that a valve is made to rotate, either by a rotater or by some other means built into the valve. This keeps deposits off the valve face and seat. Anyone know if these V-Dubs maybe do not use this. I studied in collage the Combustion Engine, I guess today we would say the American Combustion Engine. Other contries might do things different when they designed there engines, I have no idea, I did not work on anything or study anything but Made in USA. Back then never thought about anything but Made in USA.
    I have been checking my valve adjustment every 10 hours and feel I could go a little longer between checks. I did replace my spark plug wires with new solid core wires. These are custom built by Scott Performace. He makes some of the best wires I have ever seen, and the biggest. Makes auto wires look small, they are 3 to 4 times bigger then auto wires.
    What are others doing in the off season to make sure they have a good running engine for the flying season? Also how many have Dual igntion? Magneto's?
    What props are you using and size? I believe mine is 54x24
    How many use the Zenith carb? Single or dual?
    Oil cooler? what oil temps are you seeing, I have a hard time getting 160 in the middle of summer, I do have a cooler, I have to leave it shut most of the time to keep temps at 160.

Tony

2. Nov 19, 2011 #2

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You might want to sign up for the 1/2VW yahoo forum if you haven't already, to answer these questions or search the old posts.
    BB

3. Nov 21, 2011 #3

PaulS

PaulS

PaulS

I don't know about the 1/2 VW engines but I do know that the automotive engines must have the valves adjusted constantly (every 3-6 months) to avoid breakage. The valves used in the aircraft version may be different (of different materials) but it does seem to be a weak point in these engines.

Paul