• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Main Landing Gear Strut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REBEKA

Hi all ,
This is my first thread here . I'm an aeronautical engineering student who is doing a project about building and optimizing the main landing gear strut for a 25 kg twin boom UAV .I have some questions that I hope to hear your opinion about :
First : after calculating the wheel track and the strut height I had two choices for the strut, the curve and the straight , and I found that both of them are widely used in the UAV industry . the forces and moment acting on the strut are the same in both cases ,but the straight one should be lighter ( I guess ):ponder: .
Second : the main stresses on the strut are compression and tension so I thought that a unidirectional fiber can handle those stresses best , so the main part of the strut should be made out if UD fibers and I decided to add some +45\-45 layers to deal with any shear stresses .
According to my calculations the UD fibers should be in the in both outer sides of the strut and the+45/-45 fabric layers should in the middle ,and while I was searching the internet I found this :
http://www.emp.edu.dz/Manif_Scientifique/OTEH2012/elementi/rad/2-01.pdf
In this paper the stacking sequence was the opposite, I mean that the UD fiber were in the middle and the +45/-45 fabric layers were outside why ǃǃ:depressed
what is the right stacking sequence ǃ
Third : I intend to use vacuum bagging in the building process ,and I wonder what is the maximum thickness that I can use this method in .
If there is any similar study about this project its gonna be a great help.
thanks
curved leg 2.jpgcurved leg.jpgmoment and force.jpgstacking sequence.jpgstraight leg.jpg

Back