• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Magneto coil or stator, which way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built2Fly

Continue on my journey with Zenoah engine. I have finally got a puller to pull out the flywheel. There was a magneto coil plate down there, and I have a replacement stator (I believe for the same engine). My original plan is to replace the magneto with the stator, and go with a CDI. However, when I pulled out the flywheel, I found that the magnet underneath are situated at the right angle for the magneto coils. The stator requires a much wider angle. The magnets are glued down with something that looks like epoxy.

So there are probably two obvious options:
  1. Forward. Knock out the magnets, and glue new ones at the proper angles. Does the flywheel need to be rebalanced after that? Is there a way to source these magnets?
  2. Backward. Put back the magneto. Actually I am not sure if the magneto works. For example, I don't see a contact point anywhere on this engine. Does it need contact points to work?
  3. Any other options?
Any ideas on what is the best course from here? Thanks a lot, guys.

20201216_182236.jpg

Back