Madza 13b setup with Tracy Crooks EC2 controller help

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

I need help on the shaft position angle vs the position sensor location for the EC2 controller

• Rotor/ sensor allignment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotor EC2 angle programming

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

8davebarker

HBA Supporter
I need some help regarding the sync of the Madza 13b vs the shaft angle position sensors. The documentation for the Tracy Crooks EC2 controller shows the sensor at a 4:30 position with the blank rotor tooth at TDC . The engine I purchased has two sensors. A backup sensor at 3:00 and a primary sensor at the 6:00 position. Question ? How is the EC2 programmed to account for the differing sensor positions?
Dave Barker

FinnFlyer

We'll need more info. What does the label on the EC2 box say (version, date...)?

Is this a Renesis engine?

Can you attach a picture of the installed sensors?

From the EC3 manual (which may or may not apply):
SENSOR TIMING
The computer reference timing on the Renesis is determined by the position of the crank angle sensor and is not adjustable. If you
have installed a Renesis crank trigger and sensor on an earlier 13B, the sensor must be lined up with the 5th tooth following the
single 30 degree gap when rotor 1 is at TDC. If you have installed a backup sensor and have ordered the EC2 with the backup
sensor option, the backup sensor must be mounted 90 degrees in advance of the primary sensor. The ignition timing can be varied
electronically from + or – 10 degrees from factory nominal setting. See Mode 8 in the programming section for details.

Finn

8davebarker

HBA Supporter
image.jpeg Uimage.jpeg Thank you so much for your your response.
RE: EC2 A8-13u update 03/16/08 t.c.
EC2 AX. #283. 11-04-01 Tracy crooks
Engine Madza 13b RX-7
The Tracy Crooks documents show a single sensor at the 4:30 0'clock position. My engine has two sensors. Primary at 6 O'clock and backup at
3 O'clock. I really want to move the sensor at the 6 O' clock location as it interferes with my nose wheel retraction. Dave Barker 805 681 1289

FinnFlyer

Wow, never seen anything like this before. Looks like the timing wheel holes are not symmetric, otherwise you could rotate it and the sensors 90 degrees.
I guess you'd have to accurately drill new mounting holes in the timing wheel. If you rotate the timing wheel and sensors the same amount, it should continue working. Just make sure the 90 degrees between primary and backup sensors are maintained.

Finn