Quantcast

M14D engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

I always liked the idea of this engine for my one-off biplane design, as an alternative for the V8 conversion it was designed for.
Same as the M14P so widely used, except it has no gearbox. 220HP at 2000 rpm.

It seems to have disappeared. Once it was available for around $11,000 remanufactured. Kimball enterprises and Richard Goode across the pond haven't been able to tell me much about it. Has anyone come across these in real life or know a source? Short of a trip to various eastern European countries?

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
M-14D straight drive, M14P geared of 360 hp. Neighbor has a Nanchang CJ6. We assembled the aircraft. Removed the 285 HP straight drive engine and installed a geared M-14P of 360 HP. The M-14P has a pressure carb without any carb heat. The owner wanted carb heat so Dallas and I designed and built the exhaust carb heat and new airbox. I also completely striped and repainted the cockpit and install a backup hand brake. The brakes, flaps, LG and starter are air powered.
Gear retraction test.

DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0016.JPG DSCF0018.JPG

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Added --- In the bottom picture, at the lower, left corner is the small 3 cylinder radial air compressor with the electric motor. It will keep the air tank full for the 750 lbs PSI for test of the systems. No air , no start engine.
1942 Ford Jeep just like we had on the farm when I was 12 years old. I would take the jeep on back trails for 20 miles.

hangarrat101

There's a brochure on the Motorstar website for it. The Huosai 6 in the Nanchang is still geared and supercharged, just not to the same degree as the M14P. It's basically a Chinese licence-built Ivchenko AI-14.

The only strange thing is the weight for the M14D in the brochure is the same as for the M14P. The text bit says it's a fair bit lighter.
http://motorstarna.com/m14d/brochure

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There's a brochure on the Motorstar website for it. The Huosai 6 in the Nanchang is still geared and supercharged, just not to the same degree as the M14P. It's basically a Chinese licence-built Ivchenko AI-14.

The only strange thing is the weight for the M14D in the brochure is the same as for the M14P. The text bit says it's a fair bit lighter.
http://motorstarna.com/m14d/brochure
Maybe not being geared as much as the M-14P through me off. But, it also has been several years ago , and I have slept since then :)
Just looking at the two engines, I would guess the Chinese engine would be a little lighter.
It was a Chinese engine. Oil line came lose and lost all the oil, made about 25 miles to an airport. Trucked it home and installed the M-14P engine. I like the engine but I don't like the huge heavy mags and generator. I would also ditch the air start and put the electric starter on it. Lots of upgrades for the M-14P now and the prices for the engine has about doubled since we installed this one.
Lots of power with the M14P.

Last edited:

dog

Vedeneyev A1-14RA on barnstorm, core, in Quebec,$1900.00,removed when running.
Just in case you dream in the round

Last edited:

dog

Man that must have been spooky! I thought I was taking my life in my hands when I didn't turn the power off to install a light switch.
Good one
Looks like its the wife selling perhaps it wasnt spooky so much as messy