• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lycoming TIO-540 Oil Pressure Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

My oil pressure at idle with the oil hot is 48 PSI. It increases to 75 PSI when the engine is at 2200 RPM.

The engine has the spring type oil pressure adjustment. The original adjustment of the spring was turned out about 80 percent. I turned in the bolt end (it also has a split with a standard blade screwdriver slot) all of the way in to the point where the threaded end bottomed out and if do not affect the oil pressure any noticeable amount.

The questions I have for the Vans Borg Collective is...

-Is 48 PSI idle and 75 PSI too low for a turbocharged engine?

-Since I turned in the adjustment all of the way in and it did not have any effect do you suppose that there is some kind of internal debris effecting the adjustment?

-If there is some debris in there now I am worried that if during cruise the debris dislodges then perhaps now that the adjustment is all of the way it it might then over pressure...is this a realistic concern?

-I am inclined to remove this contraption and from what I read it is simply the following procedure:
-Cut safety wire
-Turn out adjuster all of the way
-Turn out the main hex head for the body of the unit to remove unit
-Pull out unit body, crush washer, spring, ball bearing

Does anyone have any help/ tips/ tricks/ experience/ dont do this/ advise they are willing to share???

THANKS!!!

Back