Lycoming cam wear power loss

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dan Thomas

Thanks, Dan.

Am I correct in my thinking that the electrodes are in a hotter area and that, plus the more open area around the electrodes, make then less susceptible to fouling?

BJC
Yup. The well in them is very shallow and even if it fills with deposits they can't short the gaps. It also gets the spark farther out in the mix and the performance seems a bit better. I put them in all the flight school engines that were approved for them. All engines went to TBO with no issues.

Champion makes a different nut for their sparkplug gapper for these. It has more threads to allow the plug to sit farther back so the screw can push on the ground electrodes properly.

Get the Tempests so they don't sell you old-stock Champions with the old resistor setup.

Check the chart. Not all IO-360s are approved for them.

Reactions: BJC

proppastie

Log Member
On constant speed prop does lower rpm at full throttle indicate cam wear?

Dan Thomas

On constant speed prop does lower rpm at full throttle indicate cam wear?
That's only one possibility. Poor spark, bad timing, low compression, governor setting slipped or governor defective, prop control clamps loose, throttle control clamps loose, clogged injectors, dirty injector air inlet screens, leaking induction, muffler blocked by broken baffle, seized turbo, defective wastegate or wastegate controller, and maybe more.