• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Luscombe 8A Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperpilot1363

Good Evening Everyone,

So I've got my eye on a Luscombe 8A. I'm planning on looking it over and was wondering if anyone had any experience or pointers for common problems. This one is setup with the stock C-65 (~1500 hr SMOH, but sale comes with a 400 hr spare), Cleveland brakes, ragwings, wood prop, basic electrical system. I'm aware of the spare corrosion, list of AD's, mechanical brake issues...any thing else I should be looking for? I will have a pre buy done.

Also, just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on low time pilots in Luscombes? I know about their reputation. I'm a student pilot with only cub and Seabee time in the log book. My instructor has quite bit of time in Luscombes to help with the transition. Any idea what the insurance rate may run? I have a few quote requests in the works... Also, I have a number in mind, but what would you typically think a Luscombe with these times is worth (~3000 TT, 1500 TT, older fabric, in annual)

If there are any owners out there please don't be shy!

Thank you!

Back