• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lugs - 4130, or something softer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Bear

Hi all .. looking for some feedback, please.

With a 4130 steel tubed fuselage, it would follow that mounting lugs would be the same material. However, since in most cases, the lugs being supported on one side, .. more bending potential .. would substituting milder, softer steel be a better idea?

Using a specific example, on a Tailwind, the horizontal stabilizer's forward fastening point. (See attached image, .. yes, it does specify a 4130 lug/plate). Really, a better example would be where just a single side of the lug would be welded to tube, .. but, I think you get the idea.

In this case, .. if I were to go mild steel. I would use an 1/8" thickness mild steel versus the 16 ga/.059 4130 suggested.

Thanks for any reply.

Ken

Attachments

• Tailwind lug.jpg
    Tailwind lug.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,416
Back