LS3 - Supercharged

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

For those needing (wanting) more power, GM Performance Parts offers the LS3 (LSA) in a supercharged package.

450 hp @ 4250 rpm.
500 hp @ 4800 rpm.

That should be enough.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
More interesting, IMHO, would be turbo-normalization.
Those numbers are not much higher than the LS376/480, which lacks the weight and complexity of the supercharger.

TXFlyGuy

More interesting, IMHO, would be turbo-normalization.
Those numbers are not much higher than the LS376/480, which lacks the weight and complexity of the supercharger.
Turbo would not be an option with the exhaust setup. Yes, our LS376/480 did 430 hp @ 4500 rpm.
A supercharger would be nice cruising at FL180.
As we like to cruise in the teens, an O2 tank is being added, plus a cockpit heater!

TXFlyGuy

You just need two blower speeds like the real thing.
At FL210, they run in low blower, burning 1 gallon per minute. At FL240 and above, they go into high blower. This will consume about 2 gallons per minute.

As it turns out, the LS3 Supercharged GM Performance Motor is too heavy, by about 100 pounds.

TFF

Yea but go the extra 10,000 ft and reap the true airspeed or pull it back and go for range. RVSM P-51. Wave at passengers.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Turbo would not be an option with the exhaust setup. Yes, our LS376/480 did 430 hp @ 4500 rpm.
A supercharger would be nice cruising at FL180.
As we like to cruise in the teens, an O2 tank is being added, plus a cockpit heater!
Ah, I forgot to consider it in your setup. If I arrange my rads right, I will have room to 'upgrade' later to a twin-turbo setup, should I have the budget and madness to do so. :whistle:
Are you using automotive-style heating? I'm planning to use a heat exchanger fed off the radiator inlet plenum, P-51 style. Varying the flow through the heat exchanger will vary the heat. Should have decent pressure to flow plenty of air, too.

Yea but go the extra 10,000 ft and reap the true airspeed or pull it back and go for range. RVSM P-51. Wave at passengers.
This just made my day. :gig:

pictsidhe

A suitable manifold is a standard part of a turbo conversion. The Supercharged LS3 may need no internal mods for a turbo conversion.