LS3 Powered Murphy Moose

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

tspear

looks interesting, sounds better. Any idea on the power/specs how he did it?

Tim

mm4440

If I correctly recall weights, I was told the M14P weighs 500#, 700+# installed, a P&W R985, 700+#, 1000# installed, about the same as the Thunder, Orenda, 600 hp V-8 installations.

Toobuilder

Log Member
I think the concept is great. Viewing that video however showed some "sketchy" details. NACA ducts with rounded corners? No. The engine mount brackets looked REALLY heavy, and the prop control mechanism looked complex and lacked structural elegance. The cooling airflow management looked like a brute force solution, and he has so much braided hose on the airplane he must own Aeroquip shares - probably 20 extra pounds right there.

It's easy to throw stones when sitting on the back porch drinking a beer, but there are some changes needed for this to be a really "elegant" FWF.

That said, I'd fly it in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

Yup, I think we could all find some things we don't like on someone else's airplane. I don't like the fuel pumps exposed to the rad heat or the lack of a vacuum line on the fuel pressure reg but it works so far. Could be lighter in places but so could my first attempt at an auto conversion. Better too heavy than too light and have stuff cracking and breaking out in the bush especially.

He's got a couple hundred hours on it now with minimal problems and he's addressed some areas which might be a bit marginal it seems. I'd fly it. Looks like fun.

spaschke

moose mods website or the engine supplier website mentions the engine weight is 525lbs with all improvements and accessories.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
NACA ducts with rounded corners? No.

That said, I'd fly it in a heartbeat!
To be fair, almost every NACA duct implementation I see in the real world on kits and homebuilts isn't built to spec and will underperform. Even some certified ones are pretty poorly done!

Room for improvement? Sure, what aircraft hasn't? The flying time and success speaks for itself though. I'd happily fly it as well.