• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LS3 - My First Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXFlyGuy

LS3 - My First Flight

Well, I finally got a chance to fly the LS3 Mustang. And, I was not disappointed! Bill only used 2600 rpm for takeoff, being about 200 hp. Keep in mind the LS3 is good for well over 430 hp, but the gearbox in use is only rated for 300 hp.

The first thing that got my attention, as soon as that engine came to life, and the exhaust started barking, was how similar this sounds to a real P-51. With very little imagination, you think you are flying a WWII Warbird!

The takeoff roll was short (full fuel, Bill and my 180 lbs onboard) and we soon were climbing out at 95 IAS which provides a fairly steep angle of climb, leveling off at 1500 MSL due to the weather.

Bill demonstrated various power settings and resulting speeds. Starting with a super "Econ" power setting of 2200 rpm which gave us around 140 IAS, and ending with the 3400 rpm / 24" MAP for speeds in the 200 area.

The standard wing seems to be most "at home" in the 180 IAS regime, while it is willing to be pushed to speeds of greater than 200 with a little coaxing. Bill is confident that the new high speed wing, when coupled with the LS3, should have an additional 25 to 35 mph available in cruise speed.

The controls are rock solid. Not what I would call heavy, but very positive in feel. Turns in both directions are almost effortless. Both pitch and roll modes are very stable. I would not characterize it as a "hands off" airplane, but it will not get away from you unless you are not paying attention. All the more reason for a good 2 axis autopilot!

The control tactile feedback on the Mustang is actually better than the B-777, which is a total "fly by wire" system.

One more thing that I noted...this is an airplane that deserves (demands?) respect. Treat her gently, and you will be rewarded.

The air was a bit choppy the morning of our flight, so my photos and videos were not that great. But you can see the pic's on our corporate FB page,
Project: Mustang, LLC.

https://www.facebook.com/texastoye51...4382715508779/

https://www.facebook.com/texastoye51...04130802927808

https://www.facebook.com/pg/texastoy...14175992196118

Back