LS1 Engine for aircraft?

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by Brohawk, Feb 9, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 11, 2012 #101

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. Apr 11, 2012 #102

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

When I used to test diesel generators at full load, the turbo housing and exhaust had the same red glow. I swear I could see the gasses passing through the manifold. Any metal will glow red above 1000 degrees, I don't see the point other than to make a point. Extracting that heat out of the cowling is the goal.

3. Apr 11, 2012 #103

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. Apr 11, 2012 #104

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Speaking of heat - Here's the J-58 in burner:

J58_Afterburner.jpg

The turbine exhaust case would almost go transparent!

5. Apr 26, 2012 #105

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

I was reading about the LS last night on HOT ROD mag and one of the first things said was that there are no standard fasteners on the LS engine. The pics aroung the block showed the bell housing flange that doesn't look like the standard bolt pattern we've come to know. Did I see this correctly?

Jim

6. Apr 26, 2012 #106

4trade

4trade

4trade

Here is excellent product, that keep radiating exhaust heat away from engine compartment. I can touch my friends Harley┬┤s exhaust pipes at heads without burning my fingers: Thermo-Tec : Exhaust Insulating Wrap

7. Apr 26, 2012 #107

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

The bolt pattern is the same, save for one bolt near the top. Many people bolt older transmissions up to the LS and simply leave the bolt out. Not a great option for a redrive, but shows the similarity.

8. Apr 26, 2012 #108

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

There isn't even a boss where the bolt used to go. This is a standard sbc/bbc bolt pattern? Hmmm?

[​IMG]

9. Apr 26, 2012 #109

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

It's my understanding that the iron blocks can be drilled/tapped, but there is no structure for the aluminum engines (as shown). Some of the LS family do use the oil pan as a structural support for the bellhousing though. Helps to spread the load.

10. Dec 12, 2012 #110

vecair

vecair

vecair

Plenty of Chevy LS engines that put out 200hp at 2000rpm, look at the new LS378 which puts out up to 525 hp. Instead of rev limiting the engine use a throttle quadrant stop detent that would allow you to use 3000rpm normally but bypass for more power if needed in an emergency. Thats what we are doing with our conversions. Also if an engine is pulling a constant rpm say 2000 it doesn't matter if its in a car, truck, stationary generator or aircraft, its still pulling that load. A car on the road at 2000rpm is still pulling a mass if it were not it would be at 0 rpm, a aircraft is doing the same thing in cruise flight at 2000rpm, no difference. A prime mover does not know what it is pulling, it doesn't really matter as long as its capable of the job.

Cheers from the sky!

TGB

11. Dec 13, 2012 #111

timberwolf8199

timberwolf8199

timberwolf8199

That view is overly simplified to the point of inaccuracy.

A mass on a horizontal plane does not require the same power as one up an incline, nor the same amount as one moving down an incline. Likewise, a 3 ton vehicle shaped like a box truck generates more resistance than the same mass shaped like a corvette.

Your statement is correct in that if the load is the same, it cares not what it is mounted in. However, mass is far from the only criteria that generates the load it sees.

12. Dec 13, 2012 #112

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

To put the "road" analogy in perspective, an airplane in cruise is less like a car on a flat road, and more like a motorhome pulling a trailer up a steep hill: Your foot is to the floor, and the hill never ends. Thats what an aircraft engine sees for most of its life

13. Dec 14, 2012 #113

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

Just like on the waters, My father bought 1959 the first Swedish fishing boat made out of steel, from Holland, it had 2 straight Scania 8's of 10 liter. right from start the cam shaft bearings sized, several times, so technical persons from Scania joined them on a fishing tour, and sure the cam shaft bearings sized, the Scania people said we have to go to a harbour, but the fishermen said they have to catch fish first, so they took the bearing locks scratchy (if that is correct word)
    off so the bearing rotated in the block instead of shaft in the bearing.

After that Scania Marin, changed there slogan from "on the ocean it is always downhill" to "on the ocean it is always uphill"

14. Mar 24, 2013 #114

The area where the bellhousing bolt would be has an oil passage right behind it. I suspect that GM felt that someone
    might use the wrong length bolt and collapse the oil passageway. An aluminum piece could be welded into that area
    if someone felt they needed the additional strength. Put a stud in it so the wrong length would not be an issue.....
    or a riser bracket could be welded to the housing and bolted to the accessory bolt hole in the rear of the head.

15. Mar 24, 2013 #115
    As you say, there are differences in the load an engine will see given the application. But to an engine, it matters not what is causing the load, only that there is a load..........kinda like the pound of feathers question.

I think some folks might find it interesting to read about how the builders of the "Light Sport" Carbon Cub have handled the horsepower equation for their airplane. While it has much more power than
    most other light sport airplanes, I think it only uses 80 hp when cruising.............. That tells me it operates in a manner similar to an automobile when cruising down a highway. Its going to use more
    when getting up to speed and less or none when coasting downhill/landing. Thats my perception of what an engine "sees" during the course of its operation. Semantics aside, it all boils down to
    what is the lightest method to achive reliable power sufficient for ones needs......and do so for an acceptable monetary amount. Often, weight cannot be acceptably overcome by an airplanes flying
    characteristics, so if usuable horsepower can be derived without the use of a reduction drive, I feel that is the best place to start the search for an engine.

16. Mar 30, 2013 #116

Wagy59

Wagy59

Wagy59

Good lord..You guys make me tired

17. Sep 22, 2013 #117

marketmerlin

marketmerlin

marketmerlin

I won't get into the car engine debate.. I will say this. I have a 03 GMC with the 4.8L V-8 that I bought new and it has 158K miles and over 3800 hours on it now and never been touched. I set my cruse at 78-79 witch is about 2600rpm everywhere I go because all I run is interstate 70-80% of the time and get 23mpg out of a full sized 5600lb extended cab truck with about the same drag coefficient of a brick. If my math is right I get about 3.39gph out of my truck on average on the 2-3 hour drives in middle and east TN with the hills

18. Sep 26, 2013 #118
    Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of views this thread has generated? And it doesn't have as many replies as some other threads. There must be a sizeable number of people who have some interest in conversions, especially aluminum V8 conversions to generate that many views. Although I din't go to the trouble of verifying it, this is probably one of the top ten threads on the site.................

19. Sep 26, 2013 #119

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

20. Sep 26, 2013 #120

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Most auto conversion threads generate a lot of views on any forum. People would love to see a low cost, reliable solution that they can easily get parts for and work on themselves. Others just like to watch people bash people experimenting with auto engines...

Brian Clayton likes this.