• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lowest parts count airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
What is the lowest parts count aircraft (and therefore the simplest and most rudimentary)? I have been thinking about a simple single engine airplane and have never seen it discussed. There are lots of examples of simple small aircraft all over the map designwise. My thoughts are along the lines of the original KR1 or something like that. Maybe just hot wired foam parts with a little S glass and no spars or a 1 piece spar max and some hard points glued in, simple plank fuselage with 1" foam core and no inner frame... Many of the blue fan fold foam RC planes could be inspirational. Not talking about unsafe or badly designed, just simple and very low parts count and build steps.

The Italian car market is an interesting inspiration. It is very hard to design a tiny low powered car that is useful and complete, has adequate ergodynamics and good overall performance. But the little cars are elegantly simple designs from say Lancia and others.

In aircraft sometimes the smallest things aren't necessarily the simplest or easiest to build like the Cri Cri for example.

So who's got examples? I'll start with Barnaby Wainfan's facetmobile proposal for foldaplane style construction. Now that would be a simple build. Not very conventional.

Back