• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lower budget engine options for a low budget UL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

so here go's...…..

I believe simple low budget ultralights like my weedhopper still have a viable place in the market (even more so today with so many prospective pilots being budget limited). A weedhopper can be scratch built for 1k or less in tubing and another $900 for a set of solid color sails, the problem is engine costs in the 25 to 30hp range are 3k plus so now you have invested 5k in a simple easy to construct and fly airplane that has a resale value of around 3.5k. To many budget constrained people this makes no sense whatsoever. John Chotia realized this and created the Chotia 460, 18hp at a price point of $750 and it fit the bill for the weedhopper perfectly, I know as I have 300+ hours sitting behind one! with my 180lb but in the seat, climb was only about 400fpm but it was reliable, sipped gas, and got the job done!

so the question (or challenge) is, what off the shelf engine can be purchased and converted for 1k or less (minus the prop) either direct drive or belt reduction is acceptable as long as the cost of the redrive is factored into the 1k overall cost. all mod work needs to be doable with basic tools (drilling ok but no machining). the end product should be capable of producing 20 to 30 hp. both 2 and 4 stroke options are acceptable.

Chris

Back