Low ressolution attachments

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Norman

HBA Supporter
Ever since the site upgrade .PNG attachments have displayed with muddy colors and the text is fuzzy. The file size is also much larger than the original. I just uploaded a .PNG screen shot that is 54.4KB on my computer but 204.6 on the forum. The LZ compression that .PNG uses is already one of the best compression algorithms available for low color images such as line graphs or cartoons so if the forum software is trying to apply some other compression technique it'll probably not have the desired results.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
When you post that are you using the full image or thumbnail? Since the expansion of size seems to make it larger than what you are use to, it is possible the thumbnail would work better.

Norman

HBA Supporter
I usually use thumbnails but recently used a full size inline image. Both have lost some clarity of the text and the images of both is smaller than my original although the icons on your display screen don't work for me so I suspect that something in my browser may be interfering with that. I'm using NoScript and Ghostery and have HBA listed as trusted in both. The most recent inline image I posted is here and the most recent thumbnail is here. notice that the file size on that thumbnail is 4x the original. As far as I can tell this only happens to .PNG files. JPG seems OK but I hardly ever post photographs.

Norman

HBA Supporter
How about simply converting the PNG image to a JPG file before posting?
Because converting PNG to JPG increases the file size and changes the colors. JPG is great for photographs with lots of colors and shading but not so good for line graphs and art with solid colors and no shading.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Understood, but I have also had problems with PNG images on certain discussion groups or sometimes with blogging software so I have converted things like screen captures to JPG to makes things easier. Another option would be to share your file as PDF so you can be sure of consistent formatting.