• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Low-powered, four-seat homebuilts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Not for the first time, I mentioned the French Peña Dahu (also here) in another thread as an option to consider for a builder looking for more cabin room and payload capacity than your average homebuilt.

With a 180 hp engine, the Dahu is advertised with a whopping 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) gross weight and 600 kg (1,323 lb) empty weight. Even if the empty weight is optimistic (as is often the case), 500 kg (1,102 lb) of payload and four seats is a heck of a lot for a homebuilt that shouldn't cost more than a minimalist two-seat Van's RV-X to build.

There are few enough four-seat homebuilts out there. Are there any others that come to mind as viable four-seaters with modest engines? Let's say 1) a useful load of at least 450 kg (992 lb), 2) an engine of 180 hp or less, and 3) space for at least four adult humans. The only other one I can think of is the Croses Para-Cargo, which is a Mignet-style tandem and far too weird for most people.

I ask because I was thinking that something along the lines of the Dahu, but optimized for ease of building and piloting (constant-chord wing, tricycle gear, possibly no flaps) could be very appealing for people who want the ability to carry more than two people and/or cargo (luggage, camping equipment, a folding motor scooter, etc.) at modest speed for modest cost.

Back