• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Low Flying U/Ls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I found out that a few people at the soccer fields started calling 911 to report a low flying plane (me) flying over the dam (next to the soccer fields). 911 dispatch contacted a police officer who contacted the local control tower. And the tower guys started calling around to pass the word for whoever it was to stop flying so low. No action as been taken against me by the FAA or law enforcement.

But I wasn't doing anything illegal. There is no legal minimum altitude for U/Ls. I'm not allowed to fly over congested areas, including open air congregations, like all the people playing and watching soccer. But I didn't fly over them. I flew over the dam next to them. I have been doing that for the last 5 or 6 years.

And I'm not allowed to fly in a way that creates a hazard to people or property. But I didn't do that either. I was far enough to the side of the soccer fields not to be a hazard.

It's hard enough living with all the legal limits and regulations for U/Ls. Now I've been asked to add even more limitations, because of a couple unhappy or fearful people who don't have a clue about U/L regulations. It's especially frustrating, since I go to such great lengths and expense to keep my U/Ls legal and fly them legally.

I wrote a Sheriff lieutenant, explained the situation, and asked for his help. Ideally, the 911 dispatchers should tell the public that it is legal for U/Ls to fly low like that, and discourage them from calling. But I'm not holding my breath.

Nonetheless, I decided to stop flying low over the dam. That was one of the few places I enjoyed flying low. It was very safe because there's a gated road on top of the dam where I could land if the engine died.

Back