Low cost HUD (or HUD-like) display?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Aug 26, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 27, 2014 #21

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

OK, folks, we have gotten completely off topic. The idea was simply a low-cost HUD to in lieu of basic VFR gauges: ASI, ALT, VSI (optional, perhaps just a scaled arrow), RPM, other engine parameters (optional), GPS track or compass heading, slip/skid (optional), turn rate (optional). Traffic avoidance and the rest are far beyond the scope of what I am suggesting. Here is a quick and dirty sketch to illustrate what I mean including two warning lights and an analog slip/skid ball. Cheers, Matthew

Attached Files:

• hud.jpg
      hud.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Aug 27, 2014 #22

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

If I were going to put a fixed HUD in, I'd like something more like this:

simple hud.PNG

It includes the most intuitive AOA display (to me, at least) that I've ever seen.

3. Aug 27, 2014 #23

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The colimating optics on a fixed HUD will be the tricky part--as Topaz mentioned, unless the images appear at infinity then there's little advantage to having this info up in the windscreen (refocusing the eyes takes longer than looking down to the panel. ANd refocusing while looking down is more natural/intuitive than refocusing close/near at the same elev/azimuth)

The Google Glass (and other brands) answer is almost here. The traffic info from ADSB ("look here"), AHRS, etc is in beta now at Levil Technologies and elsewhere, putting the aircraft systems info up there should be a snap. See here for a "video concept" of how it might work.

bmcj and Topaz like this.
  4. Aug 27, 2014 #24

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Very close to what I'd like to see - for IFR. I'd also expect to be able to turn off a lot of the "clutter" for normal VFR. I found it quite distracting. Liked the taxiway indicators/directions.

5. Aug 27, 2014 #25

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Yeah, I liked it too. As I'm remembering from seeing it a week or two ago:

The checklist map is silly. Not worried about that.

The ground taxi stuff would be really nice at a big, unfamiliar airport, especially since I rarely venture to such places. Not needed at your typical one-runway uncontrolled field.

Terrain and obstacles would be great for IFR, and for marginal VFR (we get haze etc. here). Not really needed on CAVU days, but pop-up alerts of obstacles and traffic (when those things would trigger alerts and advisories) could be useful.

Highway-in-the-Sky (HITS) would again be great for IFR and crowded spaces like VFR corridors through busy airspace.

An "emergency mode" could be implemented; hit the button and everything goes away except terrain (with shading for glide range), airports if in range, pitch scale, flight path marker, and best-glide AOA caret. One should certainly still practice without such things, but in a real situation it might be really nice to have.

Just personally speaking, I'd like to have a pitch ladder, FPM, and AOA brackets on a quick-toggle.

6. Aug 27, 2014 #26

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

The R/C FPV guys might have some "off the shelf" stuff that would give you a head start (sensors, GPS, video overlay etc...)
    I've got an old Eagletree FPV system mounted in a motor glider. I wear Headplay goggles to fly it but it could be tied to you HUD instead. Google "FPV HUD"

The R/C FPV guys have some pretty advanced, low cost equipment that would transfer nicely to the E/AB world.

Vigilant1 and Topaz like this.
  7. Aug 27, 2014 #27

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

People seem to overlook this entirely. There's a lot more to creating a successful HUD than just a shiny plate in the FOV.

This has been the dream since the '80s. We're finally getting close to making it work. All the pieces are there, it's just a matter of software and integration now. That was a great video. Like the others, I'd very much like to be able to "dial in" how much information is displayed, but that's the beauty of software. For me, being able to have possibly conflicting traffic highlighted, the boundaries of local airspace shown (in 3D like this, as an overlay), and yes, the taxiway information on an unfamiliar airport, would all be pretty nice. When I want it. Otherwise, just let me see the sky and the horizon.

dino and bmcj like this.
  8. Aug 27, 2014 #28

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Oh sure, but the real truth why Topaz likes this is because of the shot of Lake Elsinore in the video at the 1:40 mark. :gig:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. Aug 27, 2014 #29

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I have no comment at this time. :grin:

But yeah, saw the jump zone marked, then saw the ridge and the lake. Home sweet home. The local shot actually starts about 1:32, coming in from the northeast and crossing the I-15 a bit north of the ball park. I'd guess he's probably come through the Banning Pass from Palm Springs.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  10. Nov 4, 2014 #30

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

It looks like someone is coming to market with a $300 HUD for interacting with your smart phone in the car...looks pretty cool for a plane, too!

https://www.navdy.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    akwrencher likes this.