Low Cost Fabric Covering

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
They have 2.7 oz. at about $4. That is only .9 oz per yard heavier, about 1.5 pounds extra weight for the 20 yards.
Most of the older ultralights used 4oz sailcloth unpainted.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
do they still have this item or was it an old link that I found?
I was on the website looking at the items I posted as I wrote. Both said in stock. They have 3 others but I didn't look at those other than to see they were medium and heavy weight..

TFF

My plane is not a UL but it is small. I covered mine in uncertified heavy. The fabric weight might add up but paint is where the real weight is. I would have to move my wings from where I painted to where they were stored every time. I could feel the weight grow just carrying them.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The original poster wanted low cost, not low weight. The 1.2 oz is readily available if low weight is important.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Oh yeah, you’re right Bberson. Just got a little sidetracked on the weight thing. I ‘ll try to do better.

mullacharjak

Im not in the US so not thinking about AS&SC dacron.I found but not fully investigated a product called "filter cloth".I understand it is 100% polyester and available in various strength.I need some info about the fiber size and weave pattern in the 2 oz range.Thanks

Ontarioflyer

Igot the last batch from Spruce. Same as the 1.6 oz Dacron.
Edit; not listed today .. sorry . All that is listed today is 1.9 oz .

Is the Sig 1.25 oz strong enough for 80MPH?
Did anyone stick their neck out and answer? Only looking for 40 mph on the tail of a Lazair. Picked up 5 sq.yards in Canada for about $30, no questions asked regarding usage. Thoughts on using for the wings?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I'd be very surprised if Sig made that cloth. They more than likely found some manufacturer or wholesaler that uses it for something else, and re-package it.

Maybe 50 years ago (when all good kids started out by diligently building model airplanes) Sig was a big enough player they could have had enough business to go to a fabric manufacturer and order a special Dacron cloth. But 50 years ago was a time you'd still be able to get real light weight silk for models at a reasonable price.

I am fairly certain the Sig 1.25 oz. cloth would be good for 80 MPH if it is supported reasonably well. Plenty of model airplanes make that kind of speed, but the distance between ribs or longerons is a lot less.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I'm not in the US, so I'm not thinking about AS&SC dacron. I found, but have not fully investigated, a product called "filter cloth". I understand it is 100% polyester and available in various strengths. I need some info about the fiber size, and weave pattern in the 2 oz range. Thanks
Filter cloth is USUALLY a non-woven "felt". And it's often "felted" with heat, and thus will not shrink any more.

Light silk, linen, or cotton muslin MAY be the answer for homebuilders outside the US/EU. Shrink it with Nitrate dope. Which may ALSO be hard to find...and never stops shrinking.

In SOME places, like Italy, Korea, Bangladesh, Vietnam or Indonesia, where there is a lot of fabric production, you MAY be able to source "Greige Goods", the undyed, un-processed cloth that is the raw material for printed and "calendared (rolled between big-ass heated rollers)" polyester/dacron.