Low Cost Fabric Covering

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Stuffengineer

Many on here looking for a low cost covering system for ultralight aircraft have turned to 3M glue and latex paint.
Recently the 1.8oz uncertified fabric ACS is no longer available. So instead of $4.50/yd, what is available is $14/yd.
What other common fabric can be used? There must be something out there.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I believe the Sky Pup recommended covering was polyester suit lining fabric. Maybe something like this? I don’t know about shrinkability or suitability for latex finish, just an idea.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The extra cost isn't going to be a deal breaker for those of us interested in part 103, but the weight increase could be. An ounce/yd is 15 pounds, just for the fabric on a part 103 120ft^2 wing.

Distressing news for sure!

Does Sig sell their 1.2 oz in bulk? If not where do they source theirs?

TFF

99.999% of the polyester fabric is pre shrunk. You don’t want cloths or curtains or sheets shrinking when you dry them. Non shrunk is rare without paying for the service. As these technologies become antiquated, there is less incentive to keep making them manufactured. I use the Sig stuff on models and I worry it will go away too. Most of the uncertified stuff was mill cast offs. It was not made for us, just seconds we had a use for.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Sig sells their 1.2 oz fabric in increments up to five yards for $22, so even cheaper than the ACS stuff used to be. I bet you could contact them for a larger amount, just don't say it's for a full-size airplane, maybe an RC model club. ;-)

Protech Racing

Igot the last batch from Spruce. Same as the 1.6 oz Dacron.
Edit; not listed today .. sorry . All that is listed today is 1.9 oz .

Is the Sig 1.25 oz strong enough for 80MPH?

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member

proppastie

Log Member
I could not find any other fabric......peel ply or liner material that is shrinkable I even bought some peel ply see post 11 and had to sell it at 1/2 what I paid for it because it would not shrink.......

Stuffengineer

See my post on Oratex in the Steward System link. It is ideal for ultralights.
Yes, Oretex is a great product. As far as I know it is only available from one source in Alaska. The cost of the product and shipping it over 3,000 miles is way out of budget compared to Dacron, 3m adhesive and latex primer and paint.
If there was a direct competitor to Oratex the price would likely be half.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Looking at ACS now
Two lightweight uncertified fabrics in stock. One Polyfiber and one Ceconite both 1.87 oz. PF 9.65, Ceconite 10.50. Both shrinkable. Not cheap but better than the $14 quoted in the OP. It's aviation. Golf makes more sense.

TFF

Polyfiber and Ceconite / Randolph is the same company. They probably keep the names separate for the FAA. They use the same fabric and if you need it there is a letter that’s says they are interchangeable from the company. As for cheap, yes double price tag a a pain, but you can always buy enough to do wings and save for the fuselage until you can get to it. You could always double cover the Sig stuff, but then you are in the same ballpark cost. Right now it’s only double the old un certified. Don’t wait till it’s ten times. Yes I wish I had bought extra unverified.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
I have looked at the specs on the light weight vs medium
Those numbers don’t really mean a lot to me. The idea being to use the medium wt on the wing and tail and the light weight on the fuse. For those of us going for minimum weight the difference could be significant.

proppastie

Log Member
Looking at ACS now
Two lightweight uncertified fabrics in stock. One Polyfiber and one Ceconite both 1.87 oz. PF 9.65, Ceconite 10.50. Both shrinkable. Not cheap but better than the $14 quoted in the OP. It's aviation. Golf makes more sense.
post # 12 ????