Low aspect ratio sport plane ideas

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

WINGITIS

Here is a Russian Patent that may be of interest, especially if you can read Russian!

Attachments

• RU2557685C2 RUSSIAN FLYING WING DUAL ENGINE HALF CIRCLE.pdf
    689 KB · Views: 6

nestofdragons

Supporting Member
I read wainfan’s NASA paper on low AR designs. He mentions a technique of using flat honeycomb panels as the structure. Are there other references or even better examples of aircraft that have used such a method successfully?

In his latest talk at Air Venture Oshkosh he mentions that it will not be the lightest construction of the Facetmobile. It will indeed reduce the kit to a kind of IKEA-airplane. Don't loose that Allen-key. ;)

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
THANK YOU SamP !!!!!

I had the opportunity to watch Barnaby and his wife Lynne flying some really unique indoor free flight models many many years ago in Burbank, CA.

There is just about universal agreement in the airplane world that he is one of the very best and brightest.

Cyrano_II_1_Page_5_1024x1024.jpg

ma199409_022.jpg

Last edited:

Urquiola

I read wainfan’s NASA paper on low AR designs. He mentions a technique of using flat honeycomb panels as the structure. Are there other references or even better examples of aircraft that have used such a method successfully?

I'm not aware, but the old sketch about Wainfan PAV admits being built with panels, even prefab, of a building material sold in Spain: 'Pladur', two layers of gypsum, and in between, vertical respect to gypsum panels, a honeycomb material, not heavier than paper.
They make 'customized', 'tailored' panels upon request.
Their site includes descriptions of types and technical features of Pladur.
But testing this in a flying machine looks 'for brave'
Blessings +

Attachments

• PAV facetmobile -internal.jpg
    PAV facetmobile -internal.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1
  • Characts of Clark Y airfoils of Small Aspect Ratios -NACA report 431.pdf
    774.4 KB · Views: 2

rotax618

LAR aircraft have a much larger surface area than conventional types, and to be successful must have a low wing loading. For a single seat very light aircraft a covering material no heavier than fabric (ceconite etc) is about all you can use. It may be possible to use a more rigid lightweight skin but the skin would have to carry much of the loads that an internal frame would, and weigh no more than the substituted fabric covered structure including the fabric. If you are to minimise the induced drag penalty weight is the enemy.
Honeycomb (Fibrelam) is pretty heavy.

delta

Just around the corner, sometime in the near future, someone's going to be able to print this for me in one piece using graphene.

Attachments

• rw6a1.JPG
    rw6a1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 0
  • rw6a2.JPG
    rw6a2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rw6a3.JPG
    rw6a3.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 0

SamP

THANK YOU SamP !!!!!

I had the opportunity to watch Barnaby and his wife Lynne flying some really unique indoor free flight models many many years ago in Burbank, CA.

There is just about universal agreement in the airplane world that he is one of the very best and brightest.

Cyrano_II_1_Page_5_1024x1024.jpg

ma199409_022.jpg
Thanks Victor Bravo. Just to give credit where credit is due, I didn’t film the talk, just posted the link here. Kudos to whoever held the camera up for an hour!

I got to sit next to Lynne on the yellow shuttle busses at OshKosh a few years ago. She’s a very accomplished person herself and a great person to chat with.

In his latest talk at Air Venture Oshkosh he mentions that it will not be the lightest construction of the Facetmobile. It will indeed reduce the kit to a kind of IKEA-airplane. Don't loose that Allen-key. ;)
Great question. When I was at Boeing, I learned that the biggest stressor is on an airliner is nor at the wing spar, but rather the stiletto heel of a standard woman walking down the aisle. 747s use that honeycomb structure In that area

Thanks Victor Bravo. Just to give credit where credit is due, I didn’t film the talk, just posted the link here. Kudos to whoever held the camera up for an hour!

I got to sit next to Lynne on the yellow shuttle busses at OshKosh a few years ago. She’s a very accomplished person herself and a great person to chat with.
Why thank you! The world of aviation has been very good to me.

Urquiola

Thew new aproposal by Barnaby Wainfan reminds me many things, as the attached image of what is not a Lippisch L-13, they tested it extensively as DM-1 at Langley Wind Tunnel, but also, and Sci-Fi writers take ideas from unsuspected sources, the image of what they said is the Roswell Park incident UFO, a P-51, capt Mantell on board, resulted destroyed in this incident, they say, also metal sheet debris of P-51 had holes, as SciAm said recently a 'Particle beam weapon' would produce.
Under Lippisch supervision, he was deported in 'paperclip' operation, NACA concluded at Langley that a conventional canopy and rudder was better than the original thick vercal fin, also, adding a fin supplement to leading edge was good.
I owe most of this note to material supplied here by Barnaby Wainfan. He indicates good Aspect Ratio is 1, nothing more. Other info comes from Aviation Stack Exchange, and a web search.
Blessings +

Attachments

• Lippisch L-13  cromo Nestlé.jpg
    Lippisch L-13 cromo Nestlé.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Roswell Park UFO sv.jpg
    Roswell Park UFO sv.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Roswell Park UFO -sketch plan.jpg
    Roswell Park UFO -sketch plan.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • L-13 luftwaffe.jpg
    L-13 luftwaffe.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Barnaby Wainfan at Oskosh 2022.png
    Barnaby Wainfan at Oskosh 2022.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Model Delta Wing similar to L-13.jpg
    Model Delta Wing similar to L-13.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Ogival Gothic Wing fin positions arc-cp-1076.pdf
    457.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DM-1 Lippisch -Langley Full-ScTunnel Inv of max Lift and Stability Charact of an Airp having a...pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Urquiola

I'm not aware, but the old sketch about Wainfan PAV admits being built with panels, even prefab, of a building material sold in Spain: 'Pladur', two layers of gypsum, and in between, vertical respect to gypsum panels, a honeycomb material, not heavier than paper.
They make 'customized', 'tailored' panels upon request.
Their site includes descriptions of types and technical features of Pladur.
But testing this in a flying machine looks 'for brave'
Blessings +
Below please find the link to the Pladur (R) gypsum panels with honeycomb cardboard in between
They'll make it in larger sizes upon request.
Blessings +

Urquiola

The web article about the Roswell Park UFO indicates it had the upper and lower part made or covered with extremely pure Copper and Silver, I don't remember what was up and what was below, but the concept was described in the 'Anti-gravity' ball in a Jules Verne novel.
Did the writers in Roswell Park report inspire in Verne, or he just had a foresight of a technology?
Blessings +

Urquiola

Below please find the link to the Pladur (R) gypsum panels with honeycomb cardboard in between
They'll make it in larger sizes upon request.
Blessings +
Weight of this Pladur type is 15.3 kg/ m2.
Gesund +

rotax618

A small LAR would have not less than 12 sqm area, that would equate to 24 sqm surface area, if you were to use Pladur sheet, the covering would weigh about 320kg, this would be unacceptable, to fly well a small single seat LAR airplane should have an empty weight no greater than 160-170kg or less.