Quantcast

Low and Slow. Something safe to fly possibly based on the Volmer Jensen 23 hang glider. Any info on suitable airframe plans please ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SteveAero

Hi Guys, Does anyone have info on the above type of aircraft ie plans ?
What happened to the cfair hosted copyright free plans archive ?
All the best to all
SteveAero

pictsidhe

The VJ24 is worth a look. Mike Sandlin may have a design for you.
For low speed, you need span. Try doing it with short span and high lift devices, you will have a lot if induced drag, which will give bad glide and need a powerful engine. Use struts and wires, their drag penalty shrinks at low speeds.

Dan Thomas

Something safe to fly? Hang gliders and powered hang gliders don't have good safety records. The pilot is not well-protected and the wing loadings are so slow that any wind or turbulence becomes a big problem. The other big factor is the lack of training most "pilots" get; they don't understand stall or angle of attack or any of that, and it gets them. I am an example of that, nearly killing myself with a homemade hang glider before I went and learned how to fly properly. And even then the PPL was pretty skimpy stuff; I didn't get a good grounding in the stuff until I got the Commercial license and an instructor's rating. Weather stuff was much improved with Commercial and IFR training.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I just looked at a Dream Classic project in progress yesterday. Interesting, and very simple. The builder identified some areas where it seemed easier or more prudent to make a change... in this case because the tube didn't really want to make the kind of bend that was required without kinking or buckling. A minimalist 3-axis ultralight isn't going to get much simpler than this. The designer of the Dream Classic used bends in one length of tube to provide the diagonal braces in the fuselage "truss", I would have cut straight pieces, but otherwise it seems pretty legit to me. Wire braced, and very much a modernized homage to the Demioselle.

Protech Racing

My Demoiselle /Classic, is going to have a 4130 , 3 rail fuse with folding wings. All straight tubing .

Mac Hodges

I have flown two Dream Classics. One was mine and one belonged to a friend. Both had 447s. Although they looked like they would be nice flyers I didn't like the way they flew. Spent a lot of time on CG, rigging, wash out, etc. Never got it to where I liked the way it flew. Best way to land it was to fly it on. Any attempt at a 3 point and it would just quit flying and drop in. I have a VJ24 with a Yamaha KT 100, 15 hp. Flies nicely. I'm 160 lbs. Cruises about 30 mph. Also have a Mike Sandlin Goat with a 25 hp. PPG engine pusher. Flies great, very similar to the VJ. Both planes weigh about 220 lbs. empty. Also have a Legal Eagle with a Mosler. Great flying little plane!

pictsidhe

I have flown two Dream Classics. One was mine and one belonged to a friend. Both had 447s. Although they looked like they would be nice flyers I didn't like the way they flew. Spent a lot of time on CG, rigging, wash out, etc. Never got it to where I liked the way it flew. Best way to land it was to fly it on. Any attempt at a 3 point and it would just quit flying and drop in. I have a VJ24 with a Yamaha KT 100, 15 hp. Flies nicely. I'm 160 lbs. Cruises about 30 mph. Also have a Mike Sandlin Goat with a 25 hp. PPG engine pusher. Flies great, very similar to the VJ. Both planes weigh about 220 lbs. empty. Also have a Legal Eagle with a Mosler. Great flying little plane!
What kind of airfoil does the dream classic have?

Protech Racing

I may use a Clark or some flat bottom ish .
Still trying to get caught up enough to run across the state and buy the spars and foam.