Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pwood66889

FAA.GOV shows "N9168 has Reserved/Multiple Records" and
prior to Deregistration
Name ISLAND AIRCRAFT CORPORATION
Street 10 GRANADA AVENUE
City MERRITT ISLAND
State FLORIDA Zip Code 32952.
Certificate issued 1969, so I don't know how current the video is. Or even if it is the same seaplane.
Cleaver idea, though.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
To the best of my knowledge, the Seawind is a completely original design. I've never even heard of this one before. Interesting.

Himat

Well, I have heard the name before and seen pictures of the design. I did set he drawings for a scale model airplane in some model airplane magazine long time ago.
Obvious the plans for the model shown at the end of the video.

Last edited:

TimZ

0924091608.jpg Long before the Seawind there was the Porschel Equator P-300 (recip). Developements like the turbine powered P-400 did away with the drivelines and gearboxes to the prop.
Its in the December 1971 issue of Private Pilot Magazine. Wish I could get a better pic to post, but hopefully this Wiki link will fill in enough details.

Tim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%B6schel_Equator.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Blackhawk

I was in contact with Curt LaPresti about 2 years ago and he sent me some information and photos.

The prototype was only the only one ever built and because they got very involved with the aviation industry the the Spectra became a part time interest because they weren't working on it; the prototype was loaned to a museum back in 1970 time frame for safe keeping.

Roy, their father (the designer and builderot hte Spectra), did not know it at the time, but a few years later the museum had closed and the plane was lost.

Curt had a lot of drawings and documents for the Spectra and in 1983 his home burnt to the ground. They lost almost everything except for a 3 view drawing and some structural concept drawings.

The Seawind company would have copied the Spectra design concept but they would never not admit to it.

It's a pity all the Spectra information has been lost, I was interested in building an LSA version

s.S2.jpgS3.jpgac526477a.jpgS1.jpg

crusty old aviator

The film of the Spectra was shot on the Indian River, off Merritt Island, in the same location where an even better amphibian, the Airshark, would be test flown less than two decades later...another wicked cool amphib that should have had many more examples built.

Blackhawk

not the best enlargement, but you can see the drive configuration uses bevel gears.

hist_2-A.jpg

I would say they had too many problems with this system and went to the centre pylon engine

Pilot-34

not the best enlargement, but you can see the drive configuration uses bevel gears.

View attachment 97393

I would say they had too many problems with this system and went to the centre pylon engine
Every bit helps !
I have an interest in shaft driven propeller drivetrains. I’d love to see. a LOT more detail!

The most detail I’ve got the see is a picture of the shaft drive system on the antnov 181.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

This Australian design was towted as the first amphibian built mostly of fibreglass back in 1974.

Only one was ever built and had two tractor propellers in a "V" configuration just behind the wings; which
were later removed and a mid fuselage tractor setup installed.

Never got to the stage of kit production, but would have been a winner back in those days.

It needed to loose a bit of weight to get the performance to a respectible level.

90509392_1004678599929441_1228654084471065840_n (1)a.jpg

90643531_118557689757197_4362572532753782223_n (1)a.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: