Looks like a Mustang?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TXFlyGuy

The wheels are Titan manufactured and supplied by them. Two piece assembly.
The tires are from Shinko…got to be the toughest tires on the planet. I know…they were tested.

We will disassemble the Mustang, and truck her home to Texas, where she belongs. And continue the Phase One flying.

Last edited:

raymondbird

HBA Supporter
The wheels are Titan manufactured and supplied by them. Two piece assembly.
The tires are from Shinko…got to be the toughest tires on the planet. I know…they were tested.

We will disassemble the Mustang, and truck her home to Texas, where she belongs. And continue the Phase One flying.
Thanks again and blue skies!

Saville

Where did this first flight occur if not in Texas?

Hope the setback is not major. And thanks for the photo of the airplane in flight. Good angle as it gives one a really good sense of how the wing planform of the speed wing is much more like a P-51.

TXFlyGuy

Where did this first flight occur if not in Texas?

Hope the setback is not major. And thanks for the photo of the airplane in flight. Good angle as it gives one a really good sense of how the wing planform of the speed wing is much more like a P-51.
The plane was being flown in Ohio, and is still there. My builder assistant (former Titan Aircraft employee) lives nearby making it easy for him to have access to the plane.

The plane looks the part in flight! And the sound of that LS376-495 V8 gets your attention.

As of right now, the engine is perfectly tuned. It is the most powerful engine ever installed on a T-51 Mustang.

Saville

We have an opportunity to fix a flap issue, with the flaps being broken. The flaps are so big that the drive struggles when under air loading.
A mod will be made, and the flaps will be true fowler flaps.

Fowler flaps? you mean they will slide backward as well as down?

As in this picture:

Fowler.jpg

And you are going to change the wing so that the top surface doesn't move as in the picture?

TXFlyGuy

The wing will not change. The internal drive in the flaps will be upgraded, and the flaps will travel aft and down.
This is a new mod from Titan Aircraft.

Appowner

I use to be a RC Scale Judge so.................
Are the wheels the right scale? They just look small to me. Also the outer gear doors look to be a bit narrow at the bottom.

Still something about the nose but I suspect it's due to the non-scale canopy. Throws the overall perspective off. Then there's that non-scale pilots head in there.... :)

TXFlyGuy

Already asked and answered…on this forum.

The wheels / tires are not correct size.

The canopy is made for two full size adults, not two 3/4 scale humans. It was actually enlarged years ago as it was originally much smaller.

The main gear doors on my plane are getting a makeover, and will be correct. My inner gear doors are spot on.

The tail is not correct size.

Overall, it’s a darn good looking plane, even if not 100% correct!

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

I have the new (no longer available) high speed wing. This is a completely different airfoil. It has no issues with pitch authority.

This flap mod is to have functional fowler flaps. The internal flap drive and linkage has been redesigned.

Saville

I have the new (no longer available) high speed wing. This is a completely different airfoil. It has no issues with pitch authority.

This flap mod is to have functional fowler flaps. The internal flap drive and linkage has been redesigned.

The high speed wing is now unavailable?

TXFlyGuy

I use to be a RC Scale Judge so.................
Are the wheels the right scale? They just look small to me. Also the outer gear doors look to be a bit narrow at the bottom.

Still something about the nose but I suspect it's due to the non-scale canopy. Throws the overall perspective off. Then there's that non-scale pilots head in there.... :)
You be the judge -
P1060252.JPG

P1060240.JPG

P1060246.JPG

P1050841-001.JPG

Last edited:

Saville

No longer available.

On the Titan web page, under "Kit Pricing" | "Fast Build Options" they list a
"Long Wing":

Long Wing $15,000.00

Would this have the same span as your wing?

What made the "speed wing" the "speed wing"? Span? Airfoil?

I hope the long wing has the same aspect ratio of your wing as that greatly enhances the look.

Does anyone know what the "Long Wing" does to performance?

TXFlyGuy

The speed-wing is a different airfoil, well documented on this forum. More symmetrical, thinner.

The long wing is the standard wing (Hershey Bar) with a span of 28 feet. It is correct 3/4 scale.

Saville

The speed-wing is a different airfoil, well documented on this forum. More symmetrical, thinner.

The long wing is the standard wing (Hershey Bar) with a span of 28 feet. It is correct 3/4 scale.
Do you know if the correctness 3/4 scale of the "Long Wing" includes taper?

Thanks