Quantcast

Wanted Looking to get into it with some plans, maybe a kit

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

keeganhennis

I'm young, only 35 years old. Planes have been in the family for decades, handfuls of Ercoups and a beechcraft. I know that I know very little about it all, but I feel the pull toward the sky. I long to soar again like when I was a teenager. Home-building is integral to the history of airplanes, from the very beginnings of it. And now that I'm single again I need something less naggy to put my energy into, I'm thinking of the other great experience that man can have, and that's flight. As I said, I don't know much, but I can learn and I'm handy with tools. If I could find a set of plans for cheap, for some kind of ultralight to start, I'd have some place to use my extra time. I'm not naive, I understand this will get very expensive fast. Does anybody either have for sale or know where to get some plans a beginner can follow that will build a nice safe starter plane? I guess I haven't looked in the right places to find them myself, but you might already know. I don't have a welder, and my hobby space is not large so it'll have to be modular or folding.
Please be nice to a greeny.

lake_harley

For those who are on the forum all of the time, I probably sound like a broken record when someone is looking for low-cost plans to build a simple, relatively inexpensive plane. Here goes again though. Check out TEAM MiniMAX at Mini-Max Free Plans Downloads - Team Mini-Max, the world's best ultralight and light plane kits and plans. The plans can be downloaded for FREE! I completed a 1100R MiniMAX in the past year and through patiently looking for parts I think my TOTAL investment to a completed ready-to-fly ultralight was about $4500. That included a 277 Rotax that I rebuilt (rings, gaskets, seals) and new instruments.

When I received the e-mail from MiniMAX with the plans, I sent the files to a local blueprint shop who was able to print them full size for about $35 or $40. The plane could probably be built from plans printed on 8 1/2" X 11" paper and refer to the files saved on your computer to zoom in for plan details as needed.

I built from Northern White Pine (It's what is supplied by MiniMAX if you buy the complete kit) and with the help of a friend with a nicely equipped woodworking shop we re-sawed all of the various sizes of "sticks" needed to build. I did use actual "aircraft" plywood for the plywood parts.

For MiniMAX building support and answers to questions you have and encouragement while you're building check out the East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzard MiniMAX discussion forum too. miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions - ETLB Squawk Forums

Good luck with getting back into flying!

Lynn

TahoeTim

be careful building something that does not fit your mission and being stuck with it

My journey started in a zenith 601 and then to a kitfox and I just added an Ercoupe to my box of toys. I always wanted an Ercoupe so I have one and a kitfox. The kitfox requires good feet skills on the rudder and then I have the Ercoupe without pedals when I need to rest my feet.:roll:

My thought was to build the most popular kit and have a chance to flip it. Zenith, Vans, Kitfox, are the hot kits but im sure others will disagree.

pwood66889

Hi, Keegan. You based in Ammon as in Jordan?
Like you and Tahoe, I "flew the `Coupe." They are not that expensive now a days. Probably better than some kits!
There are many free plans, like for the MiniMax. Check `round the web, or others on this forum can suggest plenty free/cost effective plans.
Percy in SE Bama USA

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll second the suggestion of a Minimax as one of the most accessible choices for a beginner, though there are many others. It can be built surprisingly inexpensively. But bear in mind that a used homebuilt or partially completed project is almost always less expensive (and certainly faster to fly!) than starting from scratch.

Are you already a pilot? If not, flight instruction will need to be included in your budget.

Dana