Looking To Build & Need Some Insight

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jsaitservices, May 14, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 14, 2010 #1

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

Good evening,

I am 25 years old with my private pilots license, and been very seriously wanting to build my own experimental plane. I have been looking at the Pulsar XP and the Polliwagen, as both are good size, and can hold both my fiance and I. We want to use the plane to travel around the Midwest, and some recreational traveling. We both love the look the both of the planes. But I am wondering what other options we have as far as planes that are similar in style, and can hold 2 passengers. Then where I can get the plans for the build.

I have my own hanger, shop, and can obtain materials very easily. My father who is as well extremely handy, confident, and knowledgeable about building something this important. He is an engineer who is very good with projects like this.

Thank you and look forward to your insight.

Best Regards,

2. May 14, 2010 #2

lr27

lr27

lr27

re: Looking To Build & Need Some Insight

Not sure what the common elements of those two are, other than two place and reasonable performance? There seem to be MANY low wing, two place homebuilt designs out there. RV's, Sonex, and a bunch of others. Even more if you count canards, etc.

3. May 14, 2010 #3

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

The sonex is actually a very interesting plane, and would look as if it would be a very fun, and fullfilling plane to build and fly.

4. May 15, 2010 #4

collin.graves

collin.graves

collin.graves

I'm building a Sonex and so far it's been fantastic.

5. May 17, 2010 #5

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I just got to see a Sonex up close that's under construction. It looks like a very straightforward aircraft to build. I was told it is a very easy kit for the first time builder and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the plans, etc. I was pleased to also find out that I didn't need a ton of speicalized tools to build one. The simple nail dimpling tool left me in awe of the simplicity.

6. May 17, 2010 #6

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

I have been hearing the same in regards to the sonex planes. I do like the look of them too. They are very attractive planes to own. I am actually thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing the kit next month. The only other thing that came into my mind was, I saw a video with a sonex plane that had a jet engine strapped to the back of it. Now where does one go to purchase an engine like that? And what kind of fuel consumption would a person look at with that kind of engine.

There is one thing I am thinking is since I already have a rotax engine I think I might use that in the sonex if i get the kit.

7. May 17, 2010 #7

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

I had a friend who built a Poliwagon. He flew it once or twice and abandoned it. Said it was very short-coupled and hard to fly. I suppose that's why you rarely see them. He went on to build an RV-6 and liked that much better. There's a good reason Vans has sold so many kits. 6744 completed as of today. Yikes! :)
    -Kent

8. May 17, 2010 #8

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

I have heard that Pulsar buyers are having problems getting all their parts. I'd go with the Sonex...

9. May 18, 2010 #9

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

I ask a different question... What material sets do you have experience with? These things are too big a project to complete unless you like working with the materials. Some people LOVE wood, others think that metal is so straightforward and logical, and others can communicate in fiberglass. After you know what material set you want to work in, then you can start looking for an airplane that is built out of that material.

Me, I like fiberglass. At which point I would advise away from the Poliwagon. Only a few ever built and not supported. For a pre-molded kit, the Pulsar's are pretty darned good. The scratch built canards (Long Ez and Cozy, among others) are pretty cool too.

But you had better put a high value on the airplane being seamless and smooth, as you will spend a lot of time getting it that way...

Billski

10. May 18, 2010 #10

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

Well for me, when the time comes, its aluminum all the way. I don't have experience(yet) building an airplane, but I do have some metal working experience fro mworking on my old truck, and if the aluminum is as easy as dealing with the sheet metal I've worked with, then I assume its gonna be a piece of cake. I thin kof all the materials(save maybe wood), metal has got to be the most forgiving.

11. May 18, 2010 #11

catalysth2o

catalysth2o

catalysth2o

Metal would be my preference too, and I would have to put the Sonex right up there as a recommendation. If you still prefer composite, you may want to look at the Arion Lightning- similar to the Pulsar but less costly to build. Don't know much about them though...

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  12. May 19, 2010 #12

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I think that jet Sonex has built is still in the prototype stage, so it might be some time before they come out with a kit for that plane. Looks pretty neat though. I also like their plans for the single seat plane with the folding wings. That one is going to be a winner. Maybe by the time I buy a kit they will have that option forthe two seat Sonex. I would love to be able to have a plane with one person foldable wings where I could fold it up and put it on a trailer and keep it in my garage.

13. May 27, 2010 #13

dianeb

dianeb

dianeb

How does the build time compare to the Zenith CH 701?

14. Jun 1, 2010 #14

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

jsaitservices

The pulsar xp was a plane that I was looking at originally. I do agree with the parts issue. I was having a hard time finding some of the parts for the build. So if I went with a Pulsar XP I would go with one that is already build and ready to fly. But now I would be stuck with not building by own aircraft, which in some ways takes the fun out of it. I mean if I want to do that I might as well go to the hanger and pull a plane out and start flying that instead. So I think I will go with the sonex plane as they look fun to build, they have great specs, and have decent fuel economy.