• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for words of wisdom...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken

I'm new to the forum, and I too am looking for some advice (information) about some of the options that are out there. I know that much has been written in this forum about different considerations like the individuals size, the desired use, and pure aesthetic appeal, and I don't wish to completely re-visit those threads. That being said, I'll do a little of it anyway.

I'll tell you right now that I am a plans built kind of guy. I love working with my hands (carpentry, r/c aircraft, auto mechanic), and I have the patience to get the job done, but I have not been able to locate the type of plans or kit aircraft that fits my idea of what I would like. I know that after I get in the air, I will learn more about what I REALLY want, but here's where I'm at now:

-- I would like the ability to carry 4 people
- 2 Adults and luggage being more the average use I envision

-- Here's one you've heard before, but I'm 6'5... I need room for these legs, as well as enough width that I can sit comfortably next to my passenger.

-- I'm not really interested in setting speed records, but I would like to travel at or above 175 mph if I want to.

-- My family is in northern Wyoming, so I need something that can fly into higher elevations without too much trouble.

I've looked at the Velocity line of kits, and I really like the look and the room of the designs, but I don't like that they (or other canards) can't land on grass runways. I've also read that the canards don't do so well with higher altitudes. This is the only kit that I've actually seen up close and personal.

I've also researched the Murphy Super Rebel and the AeroComp 6 or 7. The Murphy seems like a great plane, but I like the smooth look of the composites, and it's a little on the slower end of what I want. The AeroComp doesn't have a lot of information out there that isn't directly from the factory, and that worries me a little. I can't find anything on their piston powered planes. Most of the other kits/plans out there have at least a few vocal supporters (Cozy folks come to mind), but AeroComp doesn't seem to have any in the forums I've found. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

The Express had my mind made up as far as kits go, but now they went out of business. Not the greatest confidence booster for my $$$

If you've stuck with me this far, please try to help me out.

Is there a plans built design out there that might suit my taste, perhaps with some modification? Anybody have any information (good or bad) about the Aerocomp designs, or any ideas on other kits that I should look at? Maybe the RV-10...

PS: If I'm looking for the impossible, call me out on it.

Thanks-
Broken

Back