Looking for this vibration mount

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Dana, Oct 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1

Dana

Dana

Dana

I'm trying to source the vibration mounts originally supplied with Mosler engines. I suspect they weren't special for Mosler; more likely they repurposed an existing industrial mount. Anyway, I'm only interested in the rubber parts (there are 8 per engine). Approximate dimensions, not measured by me, are 1.976 diameter, .921 long, .486 thru hole (for the 1/2" OD center tube).

Mosler engine mount.jpg

Note that unlike a solid rubber mount, these would be stiff axially but compliant radially, which is important for the once per revolution power pulses of a two cylinder engine.

Dana

clanon likes this.
  2. Oct 25, 2016 #2

narfi

narfi

narfi

3. Oct 25, 2016 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

No, those are standard mounts. I've never seen ones quite like the Mosler mounts.

Dana

4. Oct 25, 2016 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Go to the locap MAPA autoparts store and look at the auto shock absorber rubbers. I found some that I used on a 1/2 VW and a 4 cyl VW engine mounts.

5. Oct 25, 2016 #5

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

All the auto manufacturers use gel or oil filled motor mounts these days to dampen vibration. Lots of easily adaptable shapes and sizes. The Corvette ones might be a little larger than you want but the ones for smaller 4 cylinder engines should work if they suit you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Moto...ash=item3f61f1d685:g:DoQAAOSw-tNXISMU&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Motor...ash=item4d47e45624:g:dgUAAOSwqfNXlihD&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Moto...ash=item35c5dc8ada:g:lVkAAOSwyQtVt6FL&vxp=mtr

6. Oct 25, 2016 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

The welded engine mount is designed around this particular rubber bushing. Actually the outer sleeve shown in the drawing IS part of the welded engine mount. Anything different would require a new engine mount.

Dana

7. Oct 25, 2016 #7

Himat

Himat

Himat

The ā€Zā€ shape is somewhat special, if not the part do look very much like the bushings for the front suspension on an old Triumph car. (Or Jaguar, Corvette and more.) Then, if it is not an industrial item, I would guess that the part have automotive origin.

8. Oct 26, 2016 #8

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

If it actually works better than the elusive Mosler mount, it might be worth modifying your existing design.