• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for split bearings similar to MS-27646-42 aka B542DD - main stick roll axis bearings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredJ66

Summary: I need a source for rolling element bearings that are split, about 1.125 ID, and only have to travel through about 75 degrees to go on a side stick controller. Space constraints limit OD to a bit over 1.75 in. Any ideas?
----- 0 -----
Hello,

I'm trying to replace some split plain (al to steel) mounting block/bearings on a sidestick with some real anti-friction bearings
such as the B542DD which I think is also the MS-27646-42.
These are low speed conventional full compliment ball bearings with adequate axial load capability. In operation they only have to
move through about 75 or so degrees.

Sadly the control shaft has stuff welded to each end so I can't just slide a couple of these things to the appropriate station.
To avoid cut mount and reweld on the shaft I'm considering something like the pictured split bearing.

Note that the split points are at an angle to the rolling elements so whenever a roller goes over the gap there is very little notching felt. In my application I neither need nor can I tolerate the space for all the capscrew attachment things - has to fit within OD 1.78 in, ID 1.125. Magic fine line cutting of the existing B542DD might work, but experience suggests this will not go well.

I've tried to find these bearings and failed (in the proper tiny size which is 1.125 id) and I've taken a bog standard bearing and cut it completely in half, removed a couple of the bearing balls and cut down the races and then tried to clamp the entire thing on the control rod oriented so that the cut lines never get hit with a rolling element. This is possible because the rotation is limited to about 75 degrees.
This doesn't work well enough for real use because a ball will eventually fall into the (small) gap and while un-notching the thing by hand force works and full deflection resets the race position, these are not appropriate actions in the flare.

If I can't find any small split bearings in the real world I'm considering trying to machine something. I guess I could mill a hunk of steel at an angle, securely bolt it back together, then turn an outer race in it and stuff needle bearings within. Similar approach to an inner race in two halves th put around the shaft.

Any pointers to sources of this kind of thing or other ideas would be most appreciated. I've talked to a couple of places (Alpine bearings and another I don't recall right now) but "we'll get back to your heirs" seems to be the only result.

Thanks,
f

split bearing.jpeg

Back