• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for Spencer Air Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGregory1950

My father built, flew, and sold his Spencer Air Car model S12DG ( according to FAA registry ) between the years of 1973 - 1986. The manufacturer’s name on the certificate would be Gregory, or perhaps Dale Gregory. He is still alive and at age 94 very sharp, but has retained no records of the aircraft. He only flew it about 20 hours and sold it to a gentleman from Washington D.C. Although he registered the aircraft and received an N number, which he put on the aircraft, he doesn’t remember exactly what the number was, and it was during the period of small N numbers on aircraft so it can not be determined from the small photo of the aircraft that he has. When he sold it he filled out all the required paperwork. Dad was educated as an aeronautical engineer ( but never used the degree ) and built the plane with sponsons. He never did water testing with it. The FAA has no record of the aircraft other than the information I have given here ( manufacturer Gregory, model Spencer Air Car S12DG ). I spent half an hour on the phone with the registry office and was told there were no actively registered aircraft of this type, and that they only showed 4 aircraft ever having been built. I have subsequently discovered that this is not true: there is at least one aircraft currently flying, and 8 listed aircraft in an FAA registry location, and according to Wikipedia “over 50 built”. I suspect that there is, in fact, information available on my Dad’s aircraft, but the office said they couldn’t run it down without an N number or serial number. Anyone got a lead I could use to track down a “Gregory / Spencer Air Car” ?

Back