Looking for details on W.A.R. FW-190's

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by W.A.R._fw190?, Jan 13, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1

W.A.R._fw190?

W.A.R._fw190?

W.A.R._fw190?

One of the planes that I’m interested building is a W.A.R. FW-190 but I have some questions prior to purchasing plans.
    1. Approximately how much does a W.A.R. replica cost to complete (engine/avionics can be listed separately)
    2. I’ve read that the aircraft requires a light touch. Does this W.A.R. model have any unusual/quirky flying characteristics?
    3. What are the aircraft specifications/performance (weight, max g-load, useful load, range, stall and cruise speed)
    4. Does the builder fabricate all metal parts or are the majority/all metal and canopy hardware available for purchase
    5. I’m 6’2”, 190 lbs; could I comfortably fit in this aircraft?
    6. How many build hours does it take the average builder to complete the aircraft?
    7. I’ve seen how active the Van’s RV community is; are there/where are additional resources/web-pages with build-logs and user forums (Google searches turn up little, perhaps this should tell me something)
    8. There are pictures of W.A.R. aircraft with the wings removed; could I keep the plane in a large garage, bring to the airport, assemble the wings and drive it home at the end of the day?
    The other plane that I'm debating would be a plane vanilla RV-7. At this point I'm thinking that if I'd need to get somewhere with a passenger, it would be cheaper to rent a plane than have to pay the greater hanger/maintenance/fuel costs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Jan 13, 2012 #2

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

From what I've read and seen, you might be a little cramped in there at 6'2" tall. See if you can find one that you can sit in. I always thought they were bigger, but I got a true sense of their size when I saw a picture in Kitplanes with the owner standing next to his W.A.R. FW-190.

Marty

3. Jan 14, 2012 #3

Darren finlay

Darren finlay

Darren finlay

Hi, I would recommend you Google "War Buddies". You can still get the plans for the 190 as well as many others. I would of thought you will spend $15,000 to $20,000 on the build, though you have to remember this would be over many years. For what its worth if you want to build a plane, you have to do it for the love of the build not because you need a plane to fly and bugger the resale value,you want to build it so you can fly it.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #4

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

I always thought the W.A.R. aircraft were cool. I like how they use the same basic plan and change the exterior for looks. Only wish they flew faster.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #5

W.A.R._fw190?

W.A.R._fw190?

W.A.R._fw190?

Darren, I've seen the "War Buddies" site, it seems to be the best W.A.R. related site out there but it doesn't appear to have been updated recently.

I would be building the aircraft to enjoy the building process and enjoy flying it, not because its the cheapest and or fastest way to get into the air.

JMT, good point about finding one in the area to make sure that I fit comfortably (and discuss construction and flying the airplane with). Any W.A.R. FW190 owners in the South East out there?

6. Jan 15, 2012 #6

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

One way to find out where there might be an aircraft of the type you're interested in is to search the FAA Aircraft Registry. This is available on-line free to anyone who wants to search it. The following link is a search for "FW-190". Along with other replicas and some restored aircraft it brought up several W.A.R. replicas though not all are listed specifically as such. The registered owner's address is listed.

FAA Registry - Aircraft - Make / Model Inquiry

One thing to keep in mind, just because an amateur built aircraft is listed in the registry doesn't necessarily mean it is completed and flying, or still flying.

7. Jan 16, 2012 #7

Darren finlay

Darren finlay

Darren finlay

Check out Youtube, "War fw190". There are a couple of good video's to give you some idea of cockpit space etc.With regards your height, you could always drop the seat position an inch or two. I have always liked the war reps and was stupid enough to passup a two thirds finished war Seafury for £300 a couple of years ago."Kick myself now".

8. Jan 17, 2012 #8

bifft

bifft

bifft

I saw one of these at an airshow many years ago, there would have been no way I could fit inside (6'4"). Did look great.

9. Jan 30, 2012 #9

fadec

fadec

fadec

There is a photo of one in Darrol Stinton's book 'The Design of the Airplane' 2nd edition (the title was corrupted by the american publisher). The caption reads "... the author found the aeroplane potent and twitchy..." Unusually for an aircraft design book the author directly addresses the design of scaled down warbird replicas, albeit briefly. The 190 was used to illustrate the tendecy for small ones to be quite frisky.

10. Jan 30, 2012 #10

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

My sentiments exactly.

11. Feb 3, 2012 #11

BDD

BDD

BDD

I saw the very first WAR FW190 at Oshkosh and it looked great. It had an excellent paint scheme too. Flat latex paint I believe, the camouflage spots being put on with a sponge. That always seemed to me to be a great way to make a series of accurate looking, very easy to build, and inexpensive scale WWII fighter replicas. The concept was based, of course, on the KR-1. A very easy to build structure. I would think that with the right power plants they could also be fast planes.

12. Apr 26, 2014 #12

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

13. Apr 26, 2014 #13

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

14. Apr 26, 2014 #14

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

15. Apr 26, 2014 #15

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

16. Apr 26, 2014 #16

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

17. Apr 26, 2014 #17

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

18. Apr 26, 2014 #18

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

IMG_20140322_130717.jpg Any Questions? BTW, I'm 6'2" 205 lbs...I fit in my FW-190 F8 just fine...because I built it and widened the wood frame slightly...then I made the outside foam 1 inch thinner on both sides. Assuming I use an IO-240, which I own, or put a HCI radisl engine with a firewall forward full package, my aircraft's total weight, including engine, is between 730 and 760lbs. My aircraft is covered with carbon fiber.

flyvulcan likes this.
  19. Apr 26, 2014 #19

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

IMG_20140425_004201.jpg The HCI radial.

20. Apr 26, 2014 #20

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

IMG_20140425_003826.jpg The Verner Scarlet 7H