Looking for best way to level airplane.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

poormansairforce

Why are bubbles a problem?

The water will level itself out if there are bubbles or not. In a water level, just compare the top surface of the water at each end of the tube?
The real reason is because you don't want them migrating up the water column while you're taking a reading, especially if they're big because it will change the water level for a bit.

don january

Log Member
There is another way to level that is with no hidden negative factors to disrupt your readings such as air bubbles and I call it a "Shadow Line" it involves certain placing of lights that causes a shadow where needed. If done in conjunction with a water line. Shadow line can be set and adjust to fit your water line then once set you can move water line to other wing or Fus. side and still have a way to check for movement on area you started at.

poormansairforce

Now that I'm thinking, if I use the wine, will be still called water line or will become wine line? Maybe I'm thinking too much about it already. Just need to go and get it done.
If you were a real wine snob you'd reverse the process...drink the wine and fill the tube with the byproduct.😂

Last edited:

FinnFlyer

3/8" OD (1/4" ID) may be too small. I used 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID on my RV-4. Used 3/4" thin PVC for hangar/house leveling (60' +)
Anyway, test by bringing ends together, move one end up/down slightly, should level out after a few oscillations. That should reveal if any big air bubbles exist and also give you a feel for how long it takes to level out.
Plug ends while moving hoses around. Make sure hoses are on level ground and/or only curves up from (one) lowest point.

Finn

Gregory Perkins

I use a slightly different method. I only use one end of the tube for all my measurements. Take your clear tube and submerge many coils of it into a 5 gal bucket
of water treated with a quart of rubbing alchohol and a bottle of food coloring from grocery store. When you submerge the tubing go slow and eliminate all bubbles in the hose. Then take just one end of the tube out and walk as far as needed to measure
your target. What you will get at the end of the tube you are holding is a constant
level indication and you can mark that on your target or multiple targets. When done for the day just coil the tube back into the bucket and put the top on the bucket.
What I sometimes do is tape the end of the tube to one end of a yardstick. and then tape the rest of the tube to the length of the yardstick so you can use the measurements
on the yardstick for comparison to other measurements when holding the yardstick vertical. The name for this contraption is "The Egyptian Magician"

Eugene

I use a slightly different method. I only use one end of the tube for all my measurements. Take your clear tube and submerge many coils of it into a 5 gal bucket
of water treated with a quart of rubbing alchohol and a bottle of food coloring from grocery store. When you submerge the tubing go slow and eliminate all bubbles in the hose. Then take just one end of the tube out and walk as far as needed to measure
your target. What you will get at the end of the tube you are holding is a constant
level indication and you can mark that on your target or multiple targets. When done for the day just coil the tube back into the bucket and put the top on the bucket.
What I sometimes do is tape the end of the tube to one end of a yardstick. and then tape the rest of the tube to the length of the yardstick so you can use the measurements
on the yardstick for comparison to other measurements when holding the yardstick vertical. The name for this contraption is "The Egyptian Magician"
I was reading this description several times, but still don’t have a clear picture of how this supposed to work with only one end. Looks to me that you really need to move your bucket up and down for different measurements. If you doing that then you are essentially using to ends anyway. But I will try to understand it some more when I get home. Maybe I will need glass of wine with it to understand

Gregory Perkins

Get a kitchen stool and place it in front of your plane. Put the bucket on the stool and
fill it up. Insert tube coil and remove air. Take one end of tube to end of wings or anything you want to measure anywhere on the plane that is higher than the water level in the bucket. Optionally use the yard stick at end of tube as mentioned. Adjust bucket level height as needed. ie take it off the stool. For instance measureing both wing tips could result in a reading of 31 inches if using the yardstick. Measure from the water line in the tube to the number on the yardstick etc.

Eugene

Get a kitchen stool and place it in front of your plane. Put the bucket on the stool and
fill it up. Insert tube coil and remove air. Take one end of tube to end of wings or anything you want to measure anywhere on the plane that is higher than the water level in the bucket. Optionally use the yard stick at end of tube as mentioned. Adjust bucket level height as needed. ie take it off the stool. For instance measureing both wing tips could result in a reading of 31 inches if using the yardstick. Measure from the water line in the tube to the number on the yardstick etc.
Now I understand. Thank you. For the rest of the day I will be scratching my head about benefits of doing it this way versus 2 identical tube ends for 2 wing tips. Sorry for being slow, but I will get there eventually.

Eugene

Didn't have much time but enough to say that I can do this. Looks so much better than laser level. Bubbles really your enemy and I end up using furnace condensate pump to force them out of 3/8 tube. Used RV antifreeze. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Found why left strut is 3mm longer, because distance from aircraft center to the wing strut mounting bracket 2 mm longer on left wing. I guess it is good enough for 100 MPH.

IMG_5853.jpegIMG_5854.jpegIMG_5856.jpegIMG_5858.jpeg

TLAR

Banned
Please add a little dish washing detergent into the water.
the soap will reduce the surface tension.

Highplains

Unfortunately the tubing volume changes with the amount of head since the plastic tube expands under slightly increased pressure. So if you mark a couple of lines when a foot off the floor, the water will no long reach the marks when 7 feet in the air.