Looking for a good book.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rheuschele

Or video, I need to start learning more about avionics and what works with what. Can anyone suggest some titles for me to start studying?
Ron

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kitplanes has run an extensive avionics series over the years, and Tony Bingelis' book Sportplane Construction Techniques has a wealth of practical advice. If you're looking for brand-specific information... Well, unfortunately I don't have a resource on that. I suspect there's a forum somewhere that might address such things for particular brands.

rheuschele

What do you want to know? Principles, practical use, implications for design?
Good question, I'm not really sure. I guess I want to know what goes best with what. I do have the Bingelis books but for some reason I didn't think to look in them. I'm at a point that I should start picking out what I want to put in the cockpit and the last thing I need is components that don't work together.
Ron

autoreply

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're simply wondering which one to buy:

Just pick a standard PFD from one of the bigger experimental manufacturers. They're cheaper, much lighter, way more reliable and simply a lot better than all that old stuff, unless you want a certified system. Depending on your budget, you can have a PFD plus GPS (comparable with the "basic 6"+moving map) for just over 1000 US$ up to a cockpit that's modern compared to the one of the A380 (I've seen both) for the price of a nice (new) German car.

From my point of view; you're a fool if you nowadays buy new analog instruments, instead of electronics. Might be slightly offensive to some people, but the modern stuff is lightyears better in every single aspect.

Van's airforce is a great resource for these kind of topics.