Looking for a Diesel engine in a ultralight!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I do not know of any but that does not rule it out. True, reasonable performing, 103 UL is difficult with 2 cycle gas engine. Diesel weight would add to constraints.

It is a valid goal and there are some low power industrial and ATV engines to investigate. Please post more comments and questions.

Geraldc

Look at the diesel Kohler lineup - some gas ones used in UL's - why not a diesel. Lower RPM torque so wont need as much of reduction gearing ratio compared to higher rpm gas??
I had a look at them also but all I saw were too heavy. I have seen some small light diesels but can't remember where.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Also, besides the weight, diesels tend to be harder on redrives. And possibly the airframe. Pretty big thumps on those one and two cylinder diesels. I've had a couple over the years. Wouldn't want one in a small plane. Now, if someone finds a reasonable weight diesel thats really well balanced, that would be nice.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I would think some of the mid size military UAVs might have diesel engines (bigger than tiny electric hand launched UAVs, but too small to warrant a turbine). A skipper is (rightfully) very reluctant to allow gasoline aboard a ship, and it is a logistical headache for other tactical units who otherwise are nearly 100% JP-8 or diesel.
Of course, the military is often willing to pay a lot more for an engine than a homebuilder would pay.

Last edited:

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Since we're talking about diesels, I found this one:
Way too big and heavy for our tiny little planes and certified to boot, so I'm posting this as a curiosity mostly. The price? Don't ask!

wktaylor

Vigilant1 & BJC... You are aware of the dirty secret of US military forces!!

The logistics of fuel, lubricants and other fluids is a huge headache for the DoD logistics. A 'more expensive engine' is tiny price to pay if EVERY engine in theater runs well on exactly the same fuel... typically... now Jet A.

During the Vietnam war the following fuels were in use and supplied by DoD... and likely others...
MO-gas
Diesel
80/87 Avgas
100/110 Avgas
130/140 Avgas
Kerosene
JP-4 [USAF, USA, USN*]
JP-8 [USN* after carrier fires]
Jet-A or B [contractor jet transports]
Bunker Oil [ships]

OH... and God only knows how may lubricant and miscellaneous fluid types were needed for each vehicle/engine/system and special purpose uses in these categories...

GP lube oils
diesel engine oils
piston engine oils [MO vehicles, aircraft]
turbine engine oils
hydraulic oils
machine and gear-box oils
weapons lubricants
grease
coolants
solvents
etc...

NOTE.
I cannot tell You how many fights I've been in with DoD engineers wanting to eliminate one old-standard lubricant just to pare down logistics 'drag' for deployments.

my head hurts...

Protech Racing

One of my Cuyuna 430s was listed as "dual fuel". I think that it was started on gas and switched to JA. with spark? Not sure for the details .

Funny, specs show 4 GPH at 75% power. My gas 430 was always under 3GPH. More like 2.8 for an hr of just putting around at 5300RPM.

Last edited: