Looking for 1-26 advice

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hello All,

I recently acquired a 1-26B from an auction and immediately joined the 1-26 association but their site is not really set up to ask questions and the few I did have gone unanswered. I figured I would ask here. Below is a cut and paste from the question I asked to the association and curious if anyone here (Bob K?) can shed some light in these or possibly PM me someone to talk to.

Just picked up SN#390 from an auction and while the plane is in good shape most of the cockpit area is bare and needs to be redone. There is no seatback, floors or instrument panel. I am pretty tall at 6'4" so chances are I would have changed these items anyhow. I have sat in a 1-26 and do fit but its tight. Anyhow I have many questions below.
  • Are there links to any drawings on the 1-26 site for the seat back and how its built? Same question on instrument panel and floorboards.
  • What is different between a 1-26B and 1-26D that allows a larger gross weight of 700lbs. Mine is only 10 SN from the D switch over and curious if there is anything I can do to the airframe to get the higher gross allowance?
  • I have a W&B for the plane as is (when it was complete) and the max pilot weight to keep under 600lbs is 179lbs. Its empty weight was 421lbs. Yet the W&B also shows a max pilot weight based on CG only and its 236lbs which is right around what I weigh. Im fat due to covid sedentary life and my usual weight is 225lbs.
  • Is there really a 6lb fixed weight in the nose? If so can it be removed since it only hurts me gross weight wise?
  • Since I have a blank slate cockpit wise, I think I can build extra light and have a very spars panel to get some of the useful load back.
  • Off the cuff in the past I have spoken to many larger 1-26 pilots and they all say they fly over gross anyhow, but unsure what is possible... Limiting G loads and being a bit over seems plausible.
  • Is there a writeup that lists all the design changes between models?
  • I have been out of soaring since 2005 but currently fly a C182p and looking to get back to soaring this fall or next Spring so no real rush to get it going.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning as much as possible as I restore this glider and get it going again. This will likely be an EAA chapter club project to get it going again. I am located in Burbank CA if there are any other 1-26 pilots around. It will likely be kept on the flightline in Tehachapi once its flying.

Pops

Supporting Member
Picture of my I-26 that I had many years ago. This is a 1956 "C" model that was a kit. Serial #36.

Attachments

• img20150705_18451361.pdf
    350.2 KB · Views: 4
  • img20150705_18120256 - Copy.pdf
    353.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Fred C

Hi. wikipedia describes basic differences between the 6 models.

Here is B model descrip: The "B" model was introduced in 1956 as a factory built aircraft.[6] It improved on the "standard" by introducing metal-covered wings. This resulted in the empty weight increasing by 25 lbs.[9] The gross weight was increased to 600 lbs to account for the loss of useful load.[6]Starting in 1965 the "B" was available with a swept tail to replace the rounded tail
The C model was a kit version of the B

Here is B model descrip: The 1-26D was introduced in 1968[6] and incorporated some evolutionary improvements to make the aircraft simpler and easier to construct. These include a new monocoque nose forward of the main spar, top and bottom dive brakes to replace the top surface only spoilers of earlier models, new ailerons and a gross weight increased to 700 lbs.[6][15]The "D" model also introduced a one-piece canopy and a lower profile fuselage. The swept tail was standard on the "D" model. A total of 77 "D" models were produced

Best to search web for any info you need. I have W&B form for both 1-26 and 1-34.

Somewhere I have a couple prints from Schweitzer of the 2-22.
Awhile back, planning to make an RC model.

There is Larry Barratt, at Fantasy Haven Airport, Tehachapi. He might be able to help answer your questions. And, pretty sure he will say no to removing the 6lb nose wt.

Lake Elsinore has a couple 1-26's.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1-26_Weight_Balance.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 1

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Unfortunately, Larry Barrett has suffered some health setbacks, and will probably not be able to help Addicted2Climbing very much. He's still present, but not very active. His wife Jane (who has been the CEO and operations manager there for 40 years), along with partners including John Chapman and Jeff Byard, and all of the crew there have everything operating in fine shape.

There are, however, several very very highly educated/experienced vintage glider people at Tehachapi airport who can and will be able to help. Several world class glider restoration people, numerous former and current 1-26 owners, etc.

There is also K&L Soaring, which is in fact the Schweizer family, and they have all of the official knowledge/certification/experience that is applicable to the entire Schweizer line.

Fortunately the 1-26 Association is also still very active, and there's a whole lot of highly experienced folks. A2C will be in very good hands :)

Unfortunately, Larry Barrett has suffered some health setbacks, and will probably not be able to help Addicted2Climbing very much. He's still present, but not very active. His wife Jane (who has been the CEO and operations manager there for 40 years), along with partners including John Chapman and Jeff Byard, and all of the crew there have everything operating in fine shape.

There are, however, several very very highly educated/experienced vintage glider people at Tehachapi airport who can and will be able to help. Several world class glider restoration people, numerous former and current 1-26 owners, etc.

There is also K&L Soaring, which is in fact the Schweizer family, and they have all of the official knowledge/certification/experience that is applicable to the entire Schweizer line.

Fortunately the 1-26 Association is also still very active, and there's a whole lot of highly experienced folks. A2C will be in very good hands :)
Oddly Enough, I am not get anywhere with the 1-26 association. I did order a restoration manual and few other items but also posted questions on their blog and forum without any replies. Maybe its the Holiday and someone will chime in.

Marc

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Call Murry, have him give you Jeff's number or any of the other vintage glider oligarchs. I remember there was a guy named Ron Martin who was a 1-26 guy up there.

No real need or excuse to wait, but if it became necessary there will be 25 guys up there on Labor Day who have the answers/info/parts, etc.

(edit}) I just left Murry a message for him to give you the contact info for whowever is the 1-26 guru up there.

TFF

First off, jealous.

I see they put the website behind a members wall. It use to be open. I think the D got an upgraded wing. Simpler and stronger. I think the seat back is up against the wing spar so it’s not going farther back. Maybe thinner seat back. What I imagine with the E fuselage, the useful load gain with the D was lost with the upgrade.

There use to be some decent restoration blogs on the site. Those are the guys to find and talk too.

I wish someone would back engineer one to sell plans. I have always wanted one. Rarely do you see a project at a project price. I have never met the guy, but a local to me seems to buy up these things. The FAA registry has him owning at least a half dozen. They all might be paperwork, projects or a mini museum. I don’t know.

TFF

Possible; he seems to have capitalized on it with the number he has. He is keeping them registered.

Fiberglassworker

Go ahead and contact K&L aircraft at 607 594 3329 They will support you with new parts, including a new seatback.

Join the 1-26 association its just a few bucks lots of people to help. I have two A models one flyable the other a gift project of a long time member that recently passed.

Fred C

This is a VERY old photo! (circa 1977)
Probably only got about 10 hours in it.
View attachment 127483
Not that old, I started in the 1-26 ( an E ) in '74 at 23. A lot of fun flying around Lake Elsinore. But, what a brick, LOL. Got a Ka6 in'77, waiting for the ASW-20 to arrive. Too much fun. Nice photo. Where is it at.

pylon500

Supporting Member
Not that old, I started in the 1-26 ( an E ) in '74 at 23. A lot of fun flying around Lake Elsinore. But, what a brick, LOL. Got a Ka6 in'77, waiting for the ASW-20 to arrive. Too much fun. Nice photo. Where is it at.
This was taken at RAAF base Pearce in Western Australia, where my father was a civilian instructor with the gliding club.
Not long after this it was re-bought by the RAAF base Richmond gliding club (where it was initially built alongside a 2-22 that I've also flown), and by fate I was shortly thereafter posted to Richmond and became the club secretary for a couple of years.
While I was there the club had the 1-26, the 2-22, a Ka6, a Blanik, an IS-28 and an Astir CS, all of which I flew at some time or another.
Fleet.jpg
(A visiting club owned the ES-52 Kookaburra at the back.)