Look out below! New builder on the block.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dalmo

Hey all,

I've recently purchased a Merlin PSA, a single seat E/A-B LSA kit from Aeromarine in the US. It will be a first of type for here in Australia, and my first aircraft build, so I'm going to need all the "tips & tricks"" I can get.

Gradually getting my toolkit together and would appreciate any sage advice on preparing my build space (stands, etc., I'll need to support the fuselage during the build) and any other 'extras' I'll need to get the job done properly.

Happy building and flying folks.

Cheers
Dalmo.

Reactions: BJC

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Welcome Dalmo !!! Congratulations on beginning what will be on e of the greatest adventures of your life. We are very glad to have you here.

The best advice I can offer is to begin working with pieces of material form the local metal supply scrap bin. Learn how to cut them, smooth them, de-burr the edges, rivet them together, then drill them apart, then rivet them together again.

Learn the techniques that work for you and make all the mistakes and sloppy workmanship on the free scrap bin pieces. No cost, no danger, no wasted time.

Use the exact same types of fasteners, drills, files, etc. on the scraps as are required on the "real" aircraft. Become an expert on the scraps, and have a pile of fake assemblies made out of scrap. You should see better and better quality in your scrap assemblies.

When your scrap assemblies are looking like they justify being on a real aircraft with your grand-children sitting in it.... then you will have high confidence and high skill to begin working on the real structure.

By doing this you will likely save yourself a lot of expensive aircraft parts, and you will have a much more enjoyable, safe, and prideful experience building the aircraft.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
Last edited:

Dalmo

Many thanks to you all, I'm off to the local scrap yard to do some dumpster diving for trial and training treasures. Much appreciated.

Dalmo

Thanks Bill. I'll look around to see whether there is something similar in my area here in Australia.
Cheers.

johnski43

Hi Dalmo.
John from NZ here! I looked at this plane earlier and from what I found on the web site it only comes as a partially built "kit". (need a container, $$$) Reading what you are saying, do they in fact now supply plans/materials for a scratch build? Cheers John

Dalmo

Hi John,
The 'kit' still comes partially constructed. In fact, the first part of the built is to take parts of the skin off so you can get into the guts of the fuselage and wings to complete wiring and the rest. There is room for some mods and you can pick and choose what components you want to buy from Chip, or source yourself (engine / firewall forward, avionics, etc.). Given my skill/experience level, the more done by Aeromarine the better, for me. I'll still have to do 51% 😬. Chip/Aeromarine takes care of the shipping from the US to us down-under (at cost, of course, but not too nasty). I'm yet to "feel the love" from our Border Force/Customs folk and the Government's sticky fingers, but I'm sure they'll be after their slice of cake when the kit arrives.

TiPi

Supporting Member
Hi John,
The 'kit' still comes partially constructed. In fact, the first part of the built is to take parts of the skin off so you can get into the guts of the fuselage and wings to complete wiring and the rest. There is room for some mods and you can pick and choose what components you want to buy from Chip, or source yourself (engine / firewall forward, avionics, etc.). Given my skill/experience level, the more done by Aeromarine the better, for me. I'll still have to do 51% 😬. Chip/Aeromarine takes care of the shipping from the US to us down-under (at cost, of course, but not too nasty). I'm yet to "feel the love" from our Border Force/Customs folk and the Government's sticky fingers, but I'm sure they'll be after their slice of cake when the kit arrives.
the biggest junk of cost is from the ship to the shore, then quarantine inspection, GST and all the other sticky fingers between the wharf and your place.

Good luck with your build. I did a TAFE sheet metal course many moons ago (Brisbane Southbank, during EXPO88!). TAFE (or private colleges) might still offer them in some locations.

Dalmo

Sounds like a plan ... now to find out if TAFE NSW do anything like this anymore???

RogFlyer

Supporting Member
Pretty close, then! Happy to have a chat, or if you ever would like some assistance with those two-person jobs, happy to be contacted. Years ago, before marriage and kids, I used to occasionally fly in/out of Albion Park - hopefully I will be able to do so again, if ever this lockdown ends
and I can go back to flight training.

Dalmo

I know your pain ... so close yet so far. 😭 I'm sure I'll be calling out for help - I'll keep in touch, many thanks.

Dalmo

Hey folks, the selling agent has told me that while no one else has attempted to make the flaps actuated electrically to date, another builder in he US has somehow attached small gears and a sensor to the existing flap actuation tube, so that the flap position is displayed on his EFIS - now that sounds very useful to me. Still manual flaps, but more awareness of what position that are in.

BJC

Supporting Member
It is experimental aviation, so you are free to add what pleases you. I fly with an EFIS and manual flaps without flap position indication on the EFIS, and have no need for it. What is usefully displayed on the EFIS is electric pitch trim.

BJC