Longeron Opinion/SWAG Needed

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Ever get the feeling you've been dropped into that classic episode of "Taxi", where Rev. Jim is taking his driver's test and says "What does a yellow light mean?", and (edit: Bobby) says "Slow down"... and Jim keeps repeating the same question more slowly three or four times... thinking that Bobby is a little slow?

We're not gluing anything. Aluminum really doesn't glue well. It was mostly a shape and 'form factor' question. The existing rivet spacing was already calculated, 40mm, and we weren't going to change that because it would affect other things.

Guys, thanks much for the time and help, I did get a few useful replies, which I am thankful for, and that will have to be good enough for this right now.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Not a secret. Just a known, good, normal, conventional airplane. We can't get all the parts we need as soon as we want them and are considering some kinda semi-scratchbuilt workaround so we don't have to...
S L O W ... D O O W W N N N 😁

Aesquire

My gut tells me the single piece bent sheet metal "c" ( option B? ) shape will be more flexible in twisting than the original as a stand alone part. But riveted in place ( assuming same overlap etc as Original extrusion ) should be strong enough. Unknown is the problems moving the location of the flange in & up in relation to the Original as far as interference with other parts of the project. That will take a close look at the plans to determine.

( and, yeah, I understood the subterfuge right away. It's for that Flying Saucer base in Antarctica movie I want Chris Hemsworth to make! )

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I thought you were Rev. Jim.

I actually found a Rev. Jim T-shirt in a tourist shop somewhere, and just HAD to have it! It was a picture of him with that unmistakable look his face, and a bunch of fake road signs with arrows pointing to "alternate reality", "exit here", and stuff like that, with the name "Ignatowski" in crazy letters on the bottom. I'd post a picture of it, but it's probably in the laundry room under 500 other shirts.

Aesquire

To be clear I think the option referred to as One ( not the other ) in the OP should be strong enough.

The OEM extrusion is preferred for ease of fabrication and the flange position issue, but I doubt the substitute "One" is a lot weaker once riveted into the corner. I'd suggest fabricating one part and hand flex it in Different directions in comparison to the extrusion, and make your final choice then.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I have just received an unofficial notification that there's a fairly good chance we will be able to get the OEM extruded longeron parts we need, and we probably will not have to fabricate a built-up longeron.

As soon as we receive these longerons, I will close this thread out by providing full disclosure about what this was, why it was positioned as a spaceship in the original post, and offer apologies to Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

Thank you all for participating in this, and I'm thrilled that it looks like it will have been a completely esoteric discussion.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
As soon as we receive these longerons, I will close this thread out by providing full disclosure about what this was,

I am glad to report that we will receive the CH-750 Cruzer fuselage kit (complete with its custom extruded longerons) in time for our EAA chapter's youth build program to continue on its previously scheduled timeline.

We'd built up a fair amount of momentum and level of excitement with this program, and we had become concerned that the current manufacturing/supply chain issues, a recent spike in the number of new customers for the Cruzer, our chapter's own unfortunate delay in raising the funds, etc. had taken us "out of the queue" for the fuselage and we would be sent to the back of the line.

Thankfully, Zenith was kind enough to hold our position for us, one of our chapter members walked in with a small cup full of 'root of all evil', and we will be able to keep moving forward.

So the galaxy is safe, it turns out we will not need to scratchbuild any parts for MIB alien spaceships... even for Linda Fiorentino.

Again thanks to every one who indulged my "doomsday scenario" of having to create our own equivalent longerons.

Geraldc

Just looked at this but another option is to get a standard 6061 channel and use a press brake with round top die to make the radius section.