• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Long distance flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I'm not sure where this post belongs, but this area seems as good as any other...

One of my cherished dreams was to fly from New Zealand to Oshkosh to attend the fly-in. This has now changed to: from Australia to Oshkosh. But the dream is still alive. Not that I've spent a great deal of actual time planning anything - mainly because I don't even have a plane. But time marches on, and the Razorback will eventually emerge from the workshop and fly.

I'm thinking that a trans-Tasman flight to New Zealand would be a good training run - in fact, the crossing would represent a longer water crossing than I'd encounter in the Brisbane-Oshkosh trip, but obviously getting to Oshkosh is more than simply flying over water. There is the logistical and planning nightmare of negotiating all the countries in between. And I haven't even spoken to anyone locally who has attempted something like Australia to England - although I know there are some around.

I would like to use this thread to garner opinions, experiences, gotchas etc to help me start thinking about this constructively.

I'll be sitting behind the new Thunder Chief engine - so there is obviously a need to thoroughly prove the engine in my airframe first. I'll be in a single-seat aircraft, so there will be need for wing gas tanks, as well as a good auto pilot. I would FAR prefer to do the trip with another pilot - so I may well postpone the trip till I have a two-seater. Which pushes the trip date out even further. Maybe in 2016? Or later? And as for actual flight planning - haven't even thought about it, beyond tracing imaginary lines on a world map.

Any comments or help or suggestions very welcome.

Regards,
Duncan

Back