London to Capetown-n-back..Solo record!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

LArzfromarz

I'd like the group to know and would like to send congratulations to Steve and Anna Noujam as well as the support team for their efforts in a recent successful record breaking solo flight. On Set 3rd, 2010, Steve set a new record for London/Capetown/London trip, breaking a 70 year old record held by Alex Henshaw and a more recent record held by Charles "Chalkie" Stobbart. Steve accomplished this as a solo pilot in his own RV-7.
All of the details can be found The Cape Challenge, flight record bid
Steve was supported in his build primarily by his wife Anna and cast of supporting characters (as listed on the website). I'm proud to know Steve and commend him and Anna on his record breaking flight!
Way to go Steve!:ban:

LArzfromarz

a more recent record held by Charles "Chalkie" Stobbart.
Yep that was clearly stated...nothing to be taken away from Chalkie as he still holds the record the Capetown London leg, but overall Chalkie's round trip record was broken too. Chalkie's trip also was Capetown to London and back so was the reverse of Alex's trip to be accurate.
Chalkie supported Steve's efforts and the aircraft (RV-7 and GP-4) got to "meet" in SA.
While Steve's plans were delayed, it had been intended to complete the flight before Chalkie made his attempt- I know that counts for nothing, just letting you know. I'm sure these guys are (all of them) are tougher than I (and probably you too).

autoreply

I am curious as to how a 180 mph aircraft beat a 249mph aircraft
Don't stop.

If everything is set-up for a quick refuel (and the pilot only exists the aircraft to pee) you'd be lucky to loose 45 minutes for a refuel since you also need to climb/descent. You have to fly 3 hours minimum to make that up, but in reality you're probably at 4 hours, since fuel burn with a stop is also higher.

Going direct really helps for speed, even when it requires serious back-throttling and slow flying.

Group Builder