Lock 2+ year old topics

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Geraldc

Now we are all boomers responsible for all the worlds problems.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be a nice feature. I don't know if our forum software can even do it, however. It would be a "feature request" to post in the "HBA Announcements & Forum Help" section, with an "@" reference to Admin.
I suggested that awhile ago, but it was voted down. It's definitely possible, this is from POA and they use the same Xenforo software we do:

1625707613389.jpeg

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I just posted this in the HBA Announcements & Forum Help forum, but there is an add on to do this.

AdrianS

I think one factor is the internet search engines finding old posts.
Someone will find an old post then join and comment.
I think I found HBA through a search engine that dug up a dormant thread.

I can't remember which, and I doubt that I posted (I like to lurk a while to get the feel of a place before joining / posting), but I read the whole thing.

Richard Schubert

If the Baby Boomers are responsible for everything bad in today's world, then quid pro quo we're also responsible for everything good in today's world. The youngsters can put that in their vape pipe and smoke it.
The youngsters today don't think there is anything good in the world, so your point, as they say, is moo.
This boomer prefers it the way it is, Those who forget history, or are just annoyed by it and want it to go away, are doomed to repeat it.
Heh, I just described Facebook's business model, lather, rinse, repeat.

challenger_II

RR, you forgot one: "OCD"- Old, Cranky, and Disgusted!"

What if I freely admit to being an :eek:ld fart?"
What if I have previously referred to myself as a 'grumpy old gray-bearded master rigger?"
If you ask my landlord's dog, she will say that I am "Whoof! Whoof!" (translation: the silly man who lives downstairs).
The dogs who live on either side will say the same "Whoof! Whoof!"
If you ask the children at my church, they will reply that I am the "really big kid with the white beard."
Am I allowed to use self-deprecating humor on the interweb?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Personally, I am fine with having a warning notice pop up but I think requiring a mod to unlock a thread is an unnecessary step. Occasionally someone replies to a specific request from many years ago that is no longer relevant, but there is no harm done. I know that I sometimes go back to topics discussed years previously with new information, a new photo, or a desire to continue the discussion. Why not pick up where the old thread left off rather than start a new one? Let's stay out of the Department of Redundancy Department! (Remember Monty Python...?)

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
The add-on I posted about doesn't lock threads as far as I could see. It just displays a notice to anyone posting to an old thread and asks if they really want to proceed. If they do, the admins are notified, but that's only to prevent stuff like possible spamming. Nothing else is done unless the admins think some action is needed. And as wsimpso1 stated, threads are only locked if they get off track or violate the rules in some way.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Revived necroposts can sometimes be annoying, especially someone saying “Is this still available?” On a 12 year of for sale thread, but I for one will usually try find a related post rather than start a new one because I hate seeing single topics spread across multiple threads. Also, if you start a new thread, posters from the old threads won’t get a notification that there is new pertinent info being posted.

I AM ALL IN FAVOR OF A POPUP NECRO ALERT THOUGH.

Last edited:

Geraldc

just saw a post that should have been locked for a plane that sold a while ago.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I don’t think anyone would be opposed to a “locked after 24 months” rule for classified ad threads, but I agree with bmcj that it’s better to pick up an old thread than to start a new one on the same topic in most cases.

dog

I don’t think anyone would be opposed to a “locked after 24 months” rule for classified ad threads, but I agree with bmcj that it’s better to pick up an old thread than to start a new one on the same topic in most cases.
I think that the infrequent posts that are bieng objected to are something to be enjoyed!
LOOK LOOK, naivete AND wishfull thinking,those are the ones you of the more experienced set should be ready for.
And the response " thats long gone,but we will find you something",the unspoken,carefull what you ask for.
We only need more members building planes at home.
And anything,ANYTHING AT ALL,that faciliates that is our number one priority.Right?
YOUR BORED AND PICKING. STOP.

Daleandee

Did someone call me?
I've always wondered where I fit in ... old coot, geezer, or curmudgeon.

I was at a fly-in years ago when people were talking about old geezers. Took a moment to realize it was me! :fear:

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
From the World Wide Web (so it has to be true):
Geezerdom begins at 62 if the fellow habitually goes fishing on Saturdays. Codgerdom seldom arrives sooner than 73 years and six months. "Cootdom" is not so easily defined. One cannot be a coot before 67 in Boston, or before 69 in Sarasota, Palm Beach and Tucson.

I proudly wear my “Geezer“ T-shirt (everywhere my wife allows it)…..